• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for the same charges I already took care of..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebird47

I live in NY.

I was in a car accident back in February. I was ticketed with AUO, Unreasonable speed, and no insurance.

I went to court and was given so much time to pay the fine. I had misheard the judge when I was supposed to reappear. I was supposed to appear April 20th. I had May 20th written down. On May 6th, I was picked up on a warrant and released on $300 bail. I had to go to court the following Thursday to see the judge, on the 8th.

I showed up on the 8th, and the judge said that he was going to drop the unreasonable speed and no insurance, and that my $300 bail could be transferred to my fine. I talked to the county clerk and had my fine transferred over. I left and went home..

Last Tuesday, a police officer showed up at my home with a warrant, FOR THE SAME EXACT CHARGES. I explained to him that I had already taken care of this, and he told me to go down and speak with the clerk the next day. I did so, and the lady was horrible to me. She wouldn't look at any of my paperwork and would not give me any explanation. I wanted to see the same judge who told me that my fines were dropped, so I didn't attend court on Thursday (Court is on Tues and Thurs where I live), and I am going to go tomorrow morning.

How should I handle this? Can the court make a mistake like this? I don't want to go to jail, I'm not a criminal..

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in NY.

I was in a car accident back in February. I was ticketed with AUO, Unreasonable speed, and no insurance.

I went to court and was given so much time to pay the fine. I had misheard the judge when I was supposed to reappear. I was supposed to appear April 20th. I had May 20th written down. On May 6th, I was picked up on a warrant and released on $300 bail. I had to go to court the following Thursday to see the judge, on the 8th.

I showed up on the 8th, and the judge said that he was going to drop the unreasonable speed and no insurance, and that my $300 bail could be transferred to my fine. I talked to the county clerk and had my fine transferred over. I left and went home..

Last Tuesday, a police officer showed up at my home with a warrant, FOR THE SAME EXACT CHARGES. I explained to him that I had already taken care of this, and he told me to go down and speak with the clerk the next day. I did so, and the lady was horrible to me. She wouldn't look at any of my paperwork and would not give me any explanation. I wanted to see the same judge who told me that my fines were dropped, so I didn't attend court on Thursday (Court is on Tues and Thurs where I live), and I am going to go tomorrow morning.

How should I handle this? Can the court make a mistake like this? I don't want to go to jail, I'm not a criminal..
Why didn't you attend court on Thursday? Were you told to do so? Yes courts can make mistake. People make mistakes. Courts have people working for them. Hence, mistakes can be made.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Courts do make mistakes. This sounds like a clerical error. Or perhaps the warrant didn't get processed and vacated properly.

By the way, you ARE a criminal. AUO is a misdemeanor - which is a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">