• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for unpaid DUI fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edmman

What is the name of your state? MI
I got a DUI in the state of Illinois in 1991, went to court and was given fines and 2 years unsupervised probation as I resided in MI. When I went to court my father took me down to IL. for the court date, met with the attorney after court and when done he said all was taken care of. In July 2006 I went to renew my MI driver’s license and was told the state of IL. had something keeping me from renewing in MI., I called sec. of state in IL. and was told I had not completed the administrative hearing required for re-instatement of driving privileges in IL. from 1991 DUI. They had come onto the National Drivers Database about a year and a half ago I was told. I had to request an out of state hearing packet and they asked for some of the information from my court case in 1991, I called the court clerk to obtain copies of some documents and was informed there was a warrant issued in 1992 for not paying all of the fines. I contacted an attorney in the county where the case was held, he checked my court records and for a fee of $750.00 he would try to get the warrant quashed without my being present and told me the judge may or may not accept this. IL. court mandated an alcohol treatment class which I took here in MI. but the IL. Court has no record of it and neither does the treatment facility as they do not retain records after ten years.
I am willing and able to pay the said fines and lawyer’s fees. If the judge rejects the quash request and I still pay the fines is the warrant extraditable here in MI.? I had a subsequent DUI in MI in 1995 and I took care of everything I was asked to do then, and have had a MI driver’s license since without so much as a parking ticket. I was 22 and 26 respectively when I received my DUIs, young and dumb, thought life was a big party. Now I am 37, been at the same job for 10 years, married for 9, three step daughters 20,18 and 16 years old. Essentially do not drink any longer aside from the customary glass of champagne on New Years Eve with family and a beer at deer camp once in awhile after a successful hunt and have never been behind the wheel even after one drink since 1995. The desire to drink just isn't there any longer. Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Should I obtain a current alcohol evaluation and letters of character reference to send to attorney representing me in IL prior to court hearing, or wait and see if the judge quashes the warrant?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">