• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant; what happens?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jjuopperi

What happens if there is a warrant for my arrest? What would happen if I were to get pulled over? What would they do?

CdwJava

A warrant is a "command" (i.e. an order) by a judge to take the person into custody. So, you are very likely to be arrested.

But, it all depends on state law and the nature of the warrant whether it will happen or not.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It is likely that the OP will be at least "detained" for a bit.

If it was me doing the detaining he'd be in handcuffs in the back of my vehicle.

CdwJava

It is likely that the OP will be at least "detained" for a bit.

If it was me doing the detaining he'd be in handcuffs in the back of my vehicle.
Yep. I tend to detain people in cuffs and in the back seat (after a search for weapons) as I await confirmation of the warrant or determine if it is a warrant I can act upon (due to jurisdiction, amount, seriousness of the offense, etc.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">