• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrants and extradition likelihood? CA and PA knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake1005

Jake, you're not getting it. There are three ways this can play out:

1) You live out your entire life without taking care of this problem, which will restrict you in many ways (some of which you're already aware of).

2) You get a lawyer and turn yourself in. The advantage to this method is that your attorney can likely arrange the surrender to allow you a short time to close out personal affairs and inform relevant people that you'll be absent handling some personal business.

3) You ignore the situation and get arrested one day. No one can say when or if that would ever happen. I can tell you that the odds are very strongly against you making it from age 23 to your death without ever having to address this.

Your choice. No one here (or anywhere) can tell you for sure what will happen when you make it.
Phew a real answer. Thank you. And it's not something I'm running from. I do plan on taking care of everything I just can't do it until my girlfriend is done night school and has a job and my son can start preschool. So it's just for the next year and a half maybe 2 (being that my son would be able to get into a preschool around age 3 and a half) that I still need to "lay low" so to speak. Thank you again for your post.

TigerD

So I would like to get some honest answers from reputable sources. If your just someone with an opinion please don't post.
So after reading this, I figured this thread wasn't going to end well. It's a burden - being right all the time.

Basically long story as short as possible. About 2 years ago I was on probation in PA for simple assault and recklessly endangering another person and had about 6 months of probation left. ... uh oh ... "No, because I'm not a criminal."
Yes, you are a criminal. That is what the conviction means.

My girlfriend (who wanted to move back to her family in CA) and I were about to have a child and I could not get a transfer to CA. I ended up ditching my probation and my ex girlfriend's father who works for homeland security told me about 6 months ago that I have a warrant/warrants.
So, not only are you a criminal, you are an absconder.

To add I was also arrested for a dui while still in PA. I completed everything but my AHSS. Not sure if there is any consequences for that.
DUI, assault, absconding, reckless endangerment - for someone who claims to not be a criminal, you've got quite resume.

Other than these I have no prior legal matters.
What's left? You mean you haven't killed anybody yet? So, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

I was in a bad place for a year and made a few mistakes.
And apparently still making them.

First off I need to get a CA state id for work, if I was to do this would I be getting a knock on my door sometime after I apply for the state id?
Maybe. As you were advised, it depends on whether or not PA is willing to come get you.

Second if I was to turn myself in, in CA what would the likelihood be of PA to extradite me on this matter?
No way of knowing with the information posted.

I understand there are no guarantees but to the best of your knowledge answers would be great. Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Since your ex-girlfriend's apparently has no problem abusing his access rights to conduct background checks on his daughter's boyfriends, perhaps you should ask him these questions.

TD

jake1005

So after reading this, I figured this thread wasn't going to end well. It's a burden - being right all the time.

Yes, you are a criminal. That is what the conviction means.

So, not only are you a criminal, you are an absconder.

DUI, assault, absconding, reckless endangerment - for someone who claims to not be a criminal, you've got quite resume.

What's left? You mean you haven't killed anybody yet? So, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

And apparently still making them.

Maybe. As you were advised, it depends on whether or not PA is willing to come get you.

No way of knowing with the information posted.

Since your ex-girlfriend's apparently has no problem abusing his access rights to conduct background checks on his daughter's boyfriends, perhaps you should ask him these questions.

TD
I meant I'm not a habitual criminal. I don't do anything illegal on a daily basis. Haha My first arrest was the assault and reap. 2nd was the dui. And I have asked my ex girlfriend's dad (we are good friends) and he's told me he really has no idea. Thanks for the answers though

Ladyback1

My ex girlfriends father works for homeland security and has told me I have a warrant/warrants. Not sure of any details just that I have at least 1. I know they don't go away but I live a fairly simple life consisting of going to work supporting my family and staying home with my family. The life I live, I would never have to worry about being arrested again or "caught". Like I said I'm already in CA and have been for 2 years now. I'm getting a management promotion at work and need to provide a CA state id. I'd rather just turn myself in and take care of this stuff rather than applying for the state id and authorities come seek me out. Just curious if that's gonna happen or if I'll just be able to continue with my life. Thank you

OK, assuming that the Ex's father is telling the truth: Every warrant I ever saw come across through NCIC detailed where the issuing court/jurisdiction would extradite from. It could be surrounding states, only in state, or nationwide. There really is no way for any of us to tell. Extradition is usually based on the seriousness of the crime (or the perceived seriousness of a crime), if there was a child as a victim, if there was a large amount of stolen property/money, and just how cranky the prosecuting attorney and the judge are when it came time to swear out a warrant.

Contact an attorney in PA, and see if they can obtain further information, and if they would be willing to work with you to clear this up without you going to jail.

jake1005

OK, assuming that the Ex's father is telling the truth: Every warrant I ever saw come across through NCIC detailed where the issuing court/jurisdiction would extradite from. It could be surrounding states, only in state, or nationwide. There really is no way for any of us to tell. Extradition is usually based on the seriousness of the crime (or the perceived seriousness of a crime), if there was a child as a victim, if there was a large amount of stolen property/money, and just how cranky the prosecuting attorney and the judge are when it came time to swear out a warrant.

Contact an attorney in PA, and see if they can obtain further information, and if they would be willing to work with you to clear this up without you going to jail.
Thank you for your post. Hoping the judge was in a good mood cause that'll be the only thing I need to worry about then. I will definitely look into that. Thanks again.

CdwJava

My ex girlfriends father works for homeland security and has told me I have a warrant/warrants.
If her father ran you for warrants as a personal favor, then he violated federal law. But, it's not a surprise that you'd have a warrant - I'd predict the same thing if you fled the state without completing your probation, etc.

The life I live, I would never have to worry about being arrested again or "caught".
So ... you live in a cave, do not interact with people, don't have a house, don't drive a car, no loans, and live off the grid. Got it. :rolleyes:

Like I said I'm already in CA and have been for 2 years now. I'm getting a management promotion at work and need to provide a CA state id. I'd rather just turn myself in and take care of this stuff rather than applying for the state id and authorities come seek me out. Just curious if that's gonna happen or if I'll just be able to continue with my life. Thank you
And no one can say what WILL happen. Is it likely they will extradite on misdemeanors? No. Will they one day come back to haunt you? Probably. But, it may not be today or tomorrow ... next week, maybe ...

CdwJava

Got a dui and never did the AHSS. In other words I don't drive. And yes I am in a sense. My son and his well-being is more important to me then myself. And yes I know well what if I do get stopped by police and end up getting picked up on my warrant anyway somehow then how much good am I to my son. Well at least my son his mother and I know that I was trying to do the right thing. Depends on your values though I guess.
A man takes care of his responsibilities, he doesn't run from them.

The time to be concerned about one's family is before you commit the crime. Even assuming that you started this family after you conducted your criminal activity, if there are any consequences they are entirely of your doing. YOU made the decision to flee the state before your matter was settled - no one forced you. It was a conscious decision. So, don't try to pull the "I did the right thing by my family" card as it doesn't hold water here.

jake1005

A man takes care of his responsibilities, he doesn't run from them.

The time to be concerned about one's family is before you commit the crime. Even assuming that you started this family after you conducted your criminal activity, if there are any consequences they are entirely of your doing. YOU made the decision to flee the state before your matter was settled - no one forced you. It was a conscious decision. So, don't try to pull the "I did the right thing by my family" card as it doesn't hold water here.
Again not interested in people's opinions. It holds water with my girlfriend and son and that's all that matters to me. All this happened in 2011 and my son was born in 2013. And yes everything was my own doing and I'm not running from anything, if you've read all the posts on here you'd understand I plan on taking care of everything in a couple years. I don't plan however on leaving my family hanging out to dry because you people think I need to "do the right thing and accept responsibility for my actions" right this second.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again not interested in people's opinions. It holds water with my girlfriend and son and that's all that matters to me. All this happened in 2011 and my son was born in 2013. And yes everything was my own doing and I'm not running from anything, if you've read all the posts on here you'd understand I plan on taking care of everything in a couple years. I don't plan however on leaving my family hanging out to dry because you people think I need to "do the right thing and accept responsibility for my actions" right this second.
A veritable lifetime ago.

CdwJava

Again not interested in people's opinions.
Too bad - it might have kept you from this conundrum if you had solicited a few before you absconded.

It holds water with my girlfriend and son and that's all that matters to me.
And, if you get locked up or lose out on other opportunities, loans, or assistance, I'm sure it'll be part of an unfair conspiracy rather than the results of an ill-conceived decision on your part.

All this happened in 2011 and my son was born in 2013. And yes everything was my own doing and I'm not running from anything,
Except the law.

if you've read all the posts on here you'd understand I plan on taking care of everything in a couple years. I don't plan however on leaving my family hanging out to dry because you people think I need to "do the right thing and accept responsibility for my actions" right this second.
Then, like every other criminal on the run, you're making excuses and going to have to look over your shoulder.

Oh, and I have heard the "I'm going to take care of it ..." line over and over and over and over again over the last quarter century. Usually it happens when it comes back to bite them, and not before. Hopefully your situation will be different, but, in another couple of years you may decide that the potential to be locked up back home for a year or so to pay for your crimes might be too expensive and you will likely put it off ... again. And so it will likely go ...

single317dad

I do plan on taking care of everything I just can't do it until my girlfriend is done night school and has a job and my son can start preschool. So it's just for the next year and a half maybe 2 (being that my son would be able to get into a preschool around age 3 and a half) that I still need to "lay low" so to speak.
Robert Burns' To A Mouse is appropriate here:

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Mouse

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I meant I'm not a habitual criminal. I don't do anything illegal on a daily basis. Haha My first arrest was the assault and reap. 2nd was the dui. And I have asked my ex girlfriend's dad (we are good friends) and he's told me he really has no idea. Thanks for the answers though
You were arrested for assault and rape? And you think that is a good thing and shows you are not a habitual criminal? Oh for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">