• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrants on people who have passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

My brother passed away last week from cancer. He had a warrant for his arrest for not completing the program for a DUI he got a couple of years back (for obvious reasons; he was on chemo after major surgery)

Should I inform the court and/or DA's office of his passing? A death certificate can be provided, of course. I just figured it might make more sense for the xounty to clear this case rather than keep it on the books for another 50 or 60 years.

He has no estate to speak of..

garrula lingua

They would need a certified copy of the death certificate. (I believe people have reported themselves as deceased to avoid a warrant.) I would just let it lie.
The less contact with beaurocracy, the better.

My sympathy for your loss.

pkeegano

My Prayers are with you

I would just let things be. If they can keep track of somone who needs to complete a DUI class then they should be able to know if that person is alive or dead now. If they can't figure it out then our government agency have some Big problems.

Don't get yourself caught up in straightening that out, it would probably turn into a bigger headach for you. I am sorry for your loss but your brother is in a place now where he has no pain and eternal happiness:) :)

Litigation!

pkeegano said:
your brother is in a place now where he has no pain and eternal happiness:) :)

My response:

Well, whatever it is, it is "eternal." At least he won't be killing anyone on the roads, and for that, he has my "eternal" gratitude.

IAAL

thus spake litigation

Litigation! said:
My response:

Well, whatever it is, it is "eternal." At least he won't be killing anyone on the roads, and for that, he has my "eternal" gratitude.

IAAL
I look forward to future debates with you. I feel certain that you have never taken the wheel after pulling a cork, judging by your biblical attitude.

To other responders: I truly appreciate your expressions of sympathy very much.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">