• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

welfare check resulting in arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yepyepwoah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

Last week I was at my apartment and heard a knock on the door. I opened it without looking through the peephole and there were three police officers practically standing in my doorway. Of course I was immediatly nervous since I had no clue why they were there. Said that they had received a call saying there was all kinds of violence and yelling going on in my house.

I was home alone, no music or tv on. I told them so, then one cop kept me at the door and the other two started tearing through my house. It's a one bedroom apartment and I could not see what nthe two in the bedroom were doing. They were tossing stuff around and throwing around stuff sitting on chairs and couches in my living room where I was. They found a little bit (few grams) of marijuana then started asking me where my gun was if I had so much dope . Just general bull****. I was handcuffed and arrested within 4 minutes of the knock on my door.

Got out the next day came home and found doorhandle holes in my walls. Broken door frames, broken doors etc etc. Even found more than one container of marijuana still around.

met with a lawyer today and he said that the way they tossed up the house and broke things calls into question whether the pot was in plain view as they claim, and thelegitimacy of the wellfare check. Says that I have a small majority of a chance of beating it if I take it to trial.

I have pictures of all the damage, but how well would that hold up in court. THey would obviously say it was like that when they got there, or I did it myself when I got out.

Iwas offered a plea that is too good, but I really just want to fight it because I'm tired of cops doing whatever they want.

Wondering if anyone thinks it's worth fighting. If I do beat it would I be able to get the money to fix my apt from the city?

also I have a few priors so that obviously won't help my credibility against three police officers

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">