• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

welfare fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpinpa6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am being investigated for welfare fraud in PA, I know this only because they contacted my employer to obtain income information. I have not yet been contacted personally but would like to try and resolve this matter as soon as possible.

A few years ago my husband left me and I obtained medical assistance and food stamps for my daughter and myself (husband was fired and we lost the coverage we had eventually). He does pay child support of about $300 a month, which I did claim on my initial application. I rec'd about $385 a month in food stamps for my daughter and I.

I finally was able to find a part time job, I tried to report this about two years ago during one of the 6 month reviews. I did not mail (because they lose everything) but I hand delivered this info at a drop box they have in their office. None of my benefits changed, so I assumed that I didn't make enough for it to disrupt my benefits.

Then last summer I got a letter from them saying that they didn't receive my 6 month review paperwork (that I hand delivered) so they were removing me and my daughter from medical assistance and the food stamp program. I just let it go because I no longer wanted to be on the program and thought that I could just go to clinics instead, and cut back on food - I could at least get by without it (no one wants to be on assistance if they don't have to be, it is embarrassing).

Then a month or so ago an investigator came to my employer investigating me for welfare fraud. They were given the same income info I had hand delivered to them (and they apparently lost) by my employer.

I make around 10k a year now, not including support (the only info they did have).

I'm finally trying to get my life together and get out of the financial rut I have been in (for several reasons I won't get into) by going back to school etc. I want to know what I can do to make this better? My main concern is staying out of jail because I have sole custody of my daughter. I would gladly repay anything that was overpaid to me and do community service etc. whatever was needed to pay back what I owe to them and keep out of jail, and hopefully keep my record clean. I have absolutely no criminal record at all. Do I get a lawyer now? Do I wait till they actually contact me? I don't want to constantly live in fear of this, and I am not sure how to approach it.

I understand I should have got on them to make sure they rec'd my new info, I realize my stupidity now. I was taking advantage of them whether I knew it or not. Please help. =( Will they just show up at my house and arrest me one day? Or will I get something in the mail for a court date first?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">