• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are "alias capias" and "judgement NISI"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mag0070

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was arrested for an open warrant I had for a misdemeanor charge. I was bailed out and was given a court date. I missed the court date. I found out that the bond was forfeited and an "alias capias" and "judgement NISI" were filed (according to the county criminal records found online). I called the sheriff's dept. and they say that there is a failure to appear warrant out on me now with a $1000 cash bond. They say I will have to turn myself in an pay the bond. My questions:
1.) What do the terms "alias capias" and "judgement NISI" mean, and how do they affect my warrant?
2.) If I go turn myself in will they let me pay the bond without being arrested at all?
3.) If I do get arrested does the judge have the authority to change the bond amount or even hold me without bond?
4.) If I am held without bond will I have to stay in jail until the courtdate?
5.) Is there anyway to take care of this without going to jail?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

seniorjudge

mag0070 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I was arrested for an open warrant I had for a misdemeanor charge. I was bailed out and was given a court date. I missed the court date. I found out that the bond was forfeited and an "alias capias" and "judgement NISI" were filed (according to the county criminal records found online). I called the sheriff's dept. and they say that there is a failure to appear warrant out on me now with a $1000 cash bond. They say I will have to turn myself in an pay the bond. My questions:
1.) What do the terms "alias capias" and "judgement NISI" mean, and how do they affect my warrant?
2.) If I go turn myself in will they let me pay the bond without being arrested at all?
3.) If I do get arrested does the judge have the authority to change the bond amount or even hold me without bond?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Definitions of "alias capias" on the Web:

* The writ of capias ad respondendum (capias) ordered the sheriff to arrest a defendant in a civil case for appearance in court to answer the plaintiff’s declaration. The writ states the name of defendant, the court term when he was required to appear; the name of the plaintiff, the form of action (in non-bailable cases this was a fictitious trespass); and the names of the justice, clerk, and plaintiff's attorney. The writ does not contain a statement of the plaintiffs claim. ...
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~randyj2222/gendict.html

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/j030.htm

http://www.genfiles.com/legal/legalterms.htm

A: Basically, they are the warrant.

A: Doubtful.

A: Yes; you have not co-operated, so expect the worst.

A: Yes.

A: I doubt it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">