• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Can I do? Police wont tells us a thing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pudish

Pennsyvannia

Hello,

My Name is Pudish. My family and I have a had a problem since December, 2004. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with the matter. I will give specifics below.

Sometime in Dec, 2004. My uncle was suspected of stealing from a store that he worked at a year or so before. He was found guilty and had to pay restitution and such. The amount that he had stolen from what the person that accused him of takeing was around $4,000.00. This was all settled in court. It was all Finished.

Then in the month of December, 2004 the same guy said that he stole $21,000.00 worth of stuff from his store. Which was proven in court was not true. Restituion was paid and it was finished with. But they arrested him and also took everything that he was suspected of stealing plus personal belongings that didn't belong to my uncle but belonged to myself. The stuff that he was accused of taking was all musical stuff, like sheetmusic, music books, instruments, and stuff like that. But they came and took pots and pans and personal stuff that didn't belong to my uncle. All the stuff is being kept at the state police baracks in Gibson, Pa. We have called them several time and the police investigators always tells us they are busy or that I can not talk to you about the investigation. This is were it get kinda weird. My uncle passed away about a month and a half ago. So he isn't here to take care of all of this. He passed after they let him out of jail. Now the police wont let us have our stuff back. They say that the investigation isn't over and they have to do further work on the case. Now when my uncle went to court the case was over he was found not guilty. The stuff was supose to be released and before it was released is when he passed on. Now the police station is saying the ivestgation isn't over and that we can't have out personal belongings back. Like I said the court ended it and everything was supose to be given back but the state police refuse to give everything back. We have contacted Harrisburg, (the people above the state police) and they are no help either. So I am trying to get more advice on where I should go next.

I personaly don't think that it is right what they are doing with this stuff. I will tell you this the total of the stuff that is at the police station is well over $36,000.00. It was stuff that belonged to myself not to my uncle.

When the pollce came and took the stuff they came with a few police officers and brought a truck and loaded everything. They has a hwole list of papers that had everything that was suposofly stolen on it. Not one thing that they took was on the list that they had that the guy as missing. The paperwork was all musical stuff like said said. But most of it was not musical stuff it was like I said pots and pans, books, collectors plates, stuff that was not of a musical nature. They left no paperwork stating that this stufff was taken or anything. THE CASE WAS OVER IT WAS PROVEN IN COURT THAT THE STUFF WAS NOT STOLEN PROPERTY. They still today havn't given our stuff back.

There is more to all this but the fact of the matter is the courts ended it and the state police wont give our stuff back like they were supes to do. What should I do next? I would like to have my things back.

If you have more questions please ask cause there are things that I left out that to me aren't really important but might be to get the correct advice.

Can someone give me some advice?

Pudish

Last edited:

ENASNI

sorry no real advice first off, but if that is your real name, take it off your post.. this is the internet kiddo...

JETX

He needs an attorney to file a petition with the court to request release of his provable property.

Pudish

Yeah but the problem is that he passed away a month and a half ago. So we have to act on his behalf.

Pudish

JETX said:
Only the executor of his estate can 'act on his behalf'.
Th My grandfather is the executor. He is one of the ones that is doing all this to get the things back.

But he as no idea what to do next this is one of the reasons I am on this forum asking for advice because we have no clue as to where to go or waht to do next.

JETX

Pudish said:
Th My grandfather is the executor. He is one of the ones that is doing all this to get the things back.

But he as no idea what to do next this is one of the reasons I am on this forum asking for advice because we have no clue as to where to go or waht to do next.
Then he needs to go talk with a local attorney.... who can handle this for the estate.

Pudish

oh ok so you are saying that the next move would be to talk to a lawyer. We have thought of that but was just curious if there were other things we could do to get this all done and over with.

So lawyer is the next step then right?

sefnfot

oh comon one of you legal experts can post a link to a thread so Pudish can file his own petition with the court to get his own stuff back...

save him a few thousand dollars on legal fee's.

all he has to do is get the petition filed, stand and explain his situation to a judge and get a court order.

1. should Pudish try to get the items back based on the fact that siezures were improper and sue the police for damages

2. should he simply file the petition on behalf of the estate

----------------

Pudish:

do a search on the net --- file a petition with the court --- search through and see if you find an example of what a petition looks like and then find out which court you are supposed to file it with...

if the police had a list of what they were supposed to seize and the seized other items and you have proof then to me it sounds like an illegal search and siezure by the police which you may have grounds to sue for damages.

Pudish

wow. Thank you so much. That was a big help. I will try this first and see what happens. And then from there I will try the lawyer thing.

AmosMoses

I wonder if the stuff was seized because they think that it was bought with proceeds from the stolen goods? I am not saying that it was the reason, or that if it is that such is proper...I am just wondering "out loud" if that may be some of the reasoning behind the extensive seizure, because that's pretty unusual for police to come in and seize $36K worth of stuff that isn't even listed as stolen...not impossible, mind you, but it seems pretty odd to say the least.

I hope you get your stuff back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">