• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What If??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jusbreal

What is the name of your state? Kansas - What if a police officer talks about a case that he was involved in & the case hasn't even gone to court...And in doing so- He talks about the things that took place and that the alleged criminal would "die in prison". He also say's NUMEROUS other things- regarding this person. He talks about this most every chance he get's. This is drug related- He has been slandering this person non-stop for 2 months. ???

HomeGuru

jusbreal said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas - What if a police officer talks about a case that he was involved in & the case hasn't even gone to court...And in doing so- He talks about the things that took place and that the alleged criminal would "die in prison". He also say's NUMEROUS other things- regarding this person. He talks about this most every chance he get's. This is drug related- He has been slandering this person non-stop for 2 months. ???
**A: so what is your "what if" point?

J

jusbreal

**What If??

I mean- Is it legal for him to be doing this? It could go to jury trial. How will be a fair trial if this is going on? (etc, etc):cool:

HomeGuru

Re: **What If??

jusbreal said:
I mean- Is it legal for him to be doing this? It could go to jury trial. How will be a fair trial if this is going on? (etc, etc):cool:
**A: and what if he's not saying and doing those things? And what if there is no trial? Or what if it is not a jury trial? And what if it would be a fair trial? (etc., etc,)

J

jusbreal

**OK- Got It **

It IS happening..Matter of fact- the plice mn is related to the person (cousins). I have been told by family members this is what is happening. As far as it going to trial? A plea bargain has been offered, Uncertain as to what is going to happen there yet.:confused:

HomeGuru

Re: **OK- Got It **

jusbreal said:
It IS happening..Matter of fact- the plice mn is related to the person (cousins). I have been told by family members this is what is happening. As far as it going to trial? A plea bargain has been offered, Uncertain as to what is going to happen there yet.:confused:
**A: Look pal, I never did like "what if" questions in the first place. And now your story changes to "it really is happening"
So based on that and the fact that all you have posted thus far is hearsay, then I agree that it has been 2 months.

B

BillyBG

What's with the what if? Are you planning on breaking any laws or something?

J

jusbreal

RE: WHAT IF?

Ok... All these responses are so unfair. I asked the question like I did BECAUSE everytime I ask something on here- I get treated as though I am asking "stupid" questions. I am NOT an attorney- I am someone who joined this site because it offers free legal advice. I asked for it in the way I thought as appropriate- only to read- "sarcastic" remarks. Thanks anyway...:(

Bravo8

Geez, every time you ask a question? Every single time?

Considering you have only 7 posts, and 4 of them are in this thread alone, I doubt that you have asked so many questions......

To answer the question, I guess it would depend on what he is saying. I routinely talk about cases I have worked. Most of the information would be deemed public anyway, under the FOIA. Now comments like, "He'll die in prison" can be construed different ways, although it may be in poor taste. Will he die in prison b/c of the lengthy prison term that is likely to be handed down, or b/c his fellow inmates will kill him for child molestation? You provide very little information.

Exactly how does it amount to slander? The statements need to be untrue, and need to cause damage to the subject of the comments.

J

jusbreal

True there are only 7 ...BUT- I also USED to use another ID. I changed it, because of similar situations. Ok.. I will break it down as I no doubt should have from the beginning. It is just a very difficult situation and I chose to be as discreet as I could for obvious reasons (my thoughts anyway). My friend is in trouble because of Meth. He got his first charge in December 2002. That's when I began to ask questions on here. He had never been in trouble before. Then he got 2 more charges, the last being July of this year. The whole thing is very upsetting. I work with people of Developmental Disabilities and had NO idea the trouble that was becoming a part of his world. I am currently living in his home- (since 7-16-03) and have seen things I NEVER thought I would have to endure. However he and I have been friends for 26 years,
and all of his other friends..well, "Use". I do not. I felt like I needed to be VERY careful as far as HOW I said things, because there has been endless "problems" since his being in jail. I was even "advised" that I needed to be careful- living here, as I may get "set-up". ANYWAY-- ( I could write a book) - The officer that is saying things- I wonder about , because my friends case hasn't gone to trial and he was saying horrible things. I don't know that much about the Law, but I do know people have rights. His atty. has NEVER talked to him about the cases..There are so many things that I have witnessed (in one way or another) that I am simply overwhelmed with the reality of the law enforcement people lack of professionalism in this entire thing. As you can probably tell, I am searching for some sort of good- honest advice, and my choices of input may/may not be desirable...To be honest- I have 100 questions. I am not being partial because he is my friend- I realize he is in trouble. I just simply would like to be able to help him in this matter- since he is absolutley NOT receiving the help he should be from his (appt.) atty, or anyone else for that matter -as far as the law enforcement in the town I live in. I apologize for my being unclear...and I do appreciate the fact that you all are here -period. I will be glad to make myself as clear as I can..AND at the same time I am cautious because if anyone from my town were to read my input on here...That could cause more damage. Thank You again.

J

jusbreal

See that's what I am talking about. I never said "MY POOR FRIEND"....AND I never said everyone was wrong. "Boo-Hoo?"....I never said he was right- You are entitled to your opinion- just as everyone else is.

Bravo8

Paragraphs are your friend. :)

Perhaps I have a short attention span, but long run-on posts like that don't hold my attention for more the three sentences. Would it be possible to edit the post so it's a bit easier on the eyes? That looks like one long stream-of-consciousness rant to me......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">