• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What If ?? (statutory rape question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Absolutely his claim. He will claim that they met in a bar, he will prove it (her testimony, witnesses, Facebook check-ins, etc) and the DA will not file any charges, because they will not stand in-front of the jury. If you think I'm wrong, I will be happy to see some cases with the same circumstances: Alcoholic bar with restricted 21+ access, 17 years old girl who looks 18+, one night stand. I'm always happy to learn new things from professionals.
When I worked juvenile crimes we had those exact claims ... and the defendants would go to jail. That is not to say that it's possible he could convince a jury that he utilized all reasonable avenues to verify identity, but most juries are smart enough to see through that. The state must prove that the defendant reasonably should have known the victim was 18 or under ... with the exception of one case, all the cases I have been involved in or am personally aware of involved defendants that could only laughably make the claim they did not know.

My logic is very simple: If you are not engaging in criminal activity, and you act strictly by the law with reasonable good faith, you should not be charged with anything.
Good. Then you'd agree that having sexual relations with a minor is a crime. Strictly by the law - as you say - it is unlawful to have relations with a minor (we do not have a good faith exemption in the statutes).

"Sinful debauchery" term is maybe appearing in the penal code of Iran, Sudan and Afghanistan, but not in California PC, as far as I know.
I never claimed it was. But, one of the side effects of living a wanton lifestyle is that this sort of thing can happen. God gave us a brain - it's what allows us to be more than mere animals subject to baser instincts. But, from what I see and hear in the media these days, I'm not sure we are all that evolved any longer.

Last edited:

davew128

And if you think 17 year old Kylie Jenner isn't @*(&#$%^ her 24 year old BF dirtbag, er rapper Tyga....

Alex1176, the point the others are trying to make is that better decision making avoids these problems. I don't agree with their morality take on it, that's a judgement call, but from a "lets not worry about the law" standpoint, certain types of behavior leads to problems and certain types don't.

CdwJava

And if you think 17 year old Kylie Jenner isn't @*(&#$%^ her 24 year old BF dirtbag, er rapper Tyga....
And as long as neither of them admits to it and there aren't pictures passed around the internet, there won't be much that can be done about it.

Alex1176, the point the others are trying to make is that better decision making avoids these problems. I don't agree with their morality take on it, that's a judgement call, but from a "lets not worry about the law" standpoint, certain types of behavior leads to problems and certain types don't.
Funny thing about the morality take is that it tends to prevent so many of the problems that people come here to post about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">