• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theirishfan

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Any information anybody has would be helpful, let me explain my situation briefly,
A good friend of mine was recently arrested in connection with some thefts. Somebody told the police that I was involved with my friend in the act of stealing a boat. This is untrue. The police have come to my residence and questioned me about this matter and I told them the truth, that I had nothing to do with it, and furthermore I have never seen this boat and really know nothing about it. They continue to hound me, telling me that they know I know where the boat is and that they need to find it. I haven't been charged with a crime but am feeling harassed. Now they want me to take a polygraph test to know if I am telling the truth or not. While I am not concerned with my honesty, I am concerned with the validity of a polygraph examination and what happens afterwards. My question is what happens after I take the polygraph and pass it? Do they leave me alone? How accurate is the polygraph and what if I answer honestly and the device does not reflect that? What are my rights? Do I have to take the test? What should I do?
Please help anybody. Thank you

Sincerely
Theirishfan

CdwJava

No, you do not have to take the polygraph. However, if that's what it takes to get them to back off, then maybe you should consider it.

However, you might consider hiring an attorney and have him/her order the test. That way it can become an attorney-client work product and anything said can be priveleged. If the police give the test, while the test results themselves cannot be used against you, your statements CAN be used against you.

I would consult local counsel if I were you.

Carl

calatty

Do NOT take the polygraph test. Police use the polygraph as an opportunity to interrogate and get you to incriminate yourself, not to help you prove your innocence. You have zero to gain from taking it. You should consult a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">