• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What penalties will I recieve for probation violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bworms1980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

In 1998, when I was 18 I was charged with petty theft under $50. I was given 6 months probation and a fine, and i had to take a class. I was unable to pay the fees. This happened in Fort Myers, FLorida. Now 11 years later I live in Orlando, FL , and about 5 weeks ago, the police knocked on my door.

I was arrested, paid the $500 bail and now I'm still waiting for the Fort Myers court system to tell me when I have to appear in court. They keep telling me to check back next week.

What I would like to know is what potential charges may I recieve for probation violation.

The petty theft is the only trouble I have ever gotten into. Will I recieve probation again, or could I recieve jail time? I will have to travel from Orlando to Fort Myers and would like to know so that I can have everything in my life taken care of before I go to court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Did you discuss your inability to pay with the court at the time, or did you just ignore the fines and walk away from the situation?

Bworms1980

Pretty much ignored it. I was still living with my mother and no one in my family new about my situation, and then she moved the family to Orlando the following year.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm not sure difference it would have made if your family knew about it.

Maybe you should contact an attorney and be represented by someone who knows what they're doing. It might save you alot of grief.

dave33

It is possible this warrant was issued during your 6 month probation. I know it was a long time ago,but did you complete the class? I personally would not worry about a violation for a fine.But, because of your high bail it would certainly seem something other than the $ is an issue. You should try and find out if a charge exists or a technical violation or what the exact reason you got arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">