• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do? Police report filed against me - Detective wants to interview me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atuarre

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I got a call Monday from the local sherrifs department on my cell phone. The detective claimed that he had a police report that was filed against me back in February and he had been trying to get in touch with me for some time now. My first thought about this was, if you were really trying to find me, you could have located me.

Moving right along, the detective mentioned that I interviewed someone back in February, which I did (I was working for several different companies at the time, and even volunteering my time) and that the woman I interviewed accused me of acting inappropriately. My first thought was, "Why am I hearing about this now?"

So I pressed the detective and he told me that he needed me to come into the sherrifs office to give a statement, and that after he got my statement, he would then put it along with the other statement he received and decide where it needed to go to the D.A. or not. He told me there were inconsistencies in the story that was told when the report was filed, and that he wanted to get my side of the story.

He then also told me that he needed my social security number and my date of birth to see if I had been accused of this thing before. I didn't think about it until after I hung up, that it could have been an identity thief, but the number he gave me, and the number he called from were both legit.

I asked him what this was about and if I needed to get a lawyer. He told me he could not offer me legal advise but he did not have any intention of arresting me. He told me it would be in my best interest however, to cooperate.

He told me when I come in, he wanted my current address and my current employer but unless I am being charged, I don't feel I need to provide this information. The last thing I need is this detective going to my place of employment and asking questions. This is how scandals start where I work.

Moving right along...
Several people have advised me that this could have been an identity thief, so I took the necessary measures (freezing my credit), etc, however if it is legit, what should I do? My friends advised me that if I do decide to go, to bring someone because in these types of situations, they will put you in a room and try to grill you for hours and hours, and another friend advised me to also bring a tape recorder. She also advised me that if they started to act crazy, to ask if I am being charged, and if I am not, to leave.

What I don't understand is if I was being accused of something, why am I just now hearing about it? Two, if the police want to find you, they come to you, they don't ask you to come to them, but then again, this is the south.

Please advise on what I should do, because this is really bugging me. My friend, Zack, is going to come with me to the sherrifs office on Friday so I do not have to go up there alone.

What should I do?

JETX

What should I do?
Your 'options' are simple.
1) If you have nothing to be afraid of... go on down and have a talk with them and clear this up.
2) If you do have something to be concerned about (as you know you do), then get an attorney to go with you.

lwpat

Do not go down to the station. Find out if the detective is legit, call the department. If so, retain an attorney and let him call the detective.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">