• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What term is used to describe this power?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmknox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif
The Martha Stewart case taught me that if you lie to the FBI you can go to jail. It's ok to lie to me because I dont have the X power, but the FBI has this X power. What is X.

I'm trying to understand the way to describe an investigator who has the property that if you lie to him you have broken some law. What term is used to describe this investigator - what power is ascribed to him?

It appears close to saying that he can decide that you are under oath - am I close?

The OATH DECIDING POWER?

I'mTheFather

The Martha Stewart case taught me that if you lie to the FBI you can go to jail. It's ok to lie to me because I dont have the X power, but the FBI has this X power. What is X.

I'm trying to understand the way to describe an investigator who has the property that if you lie to him you have broken some law. What term is used to describe this investigator - what power is ascribed to him?

It appears close to saying that he can decide that you are under oath - am I close?

The OATH DECIDING POWER?
It's not a power. It's called 'obstruction of justice' when they want information from you about an investigation and you lie.

rmknox

Father - fantastic
Based on your input I've done my homework - 18 USC 1503 and thereabouts - thsnks so much
DIck

Last edited:

latigo

The OATH DECIDING POWER?
Stewart was charged with several counts of obstructing justice in violation of 18 USC 73.

Briefly she was found guilty of lying to SEC, FBI investigators and the federal prosecutors in telling them that she had set up with her broker an automatic sale of her ImClone stock if it fell below $60.

In truth she had received inside information that Sam Waksal the founder of the struggling ImClone intended to sell his shares.

Acting on that information she promptly dumped her shares at $58.43. The next day they opened at $45.36 netting her a savings of $52,200 and a trip to the slammer.

Incidentally, taking an OATH is not an element of the crime.

Banned_Princess

Stewart was charged with several counts of obstructing justice in violation of 18 USC 73.

Briefly she was found guilty of lying to SEC, FBI investigators and the federal prosecutors in telling them that she had set up with her broker an automatic sale of her ImClone stock if it fell below $60.

In truth she had received inside information that Sam Waksal the founder of the struggling ImClone intended to sell his shares.

Acting on that information she promptly dumped her shares at $58.43. The next day they opened at $45.36 netting her a savings of $52,200 and a trip to the slammer.

Incidentally, taking an OATH is not an element of the crime.
Way to do the kids homework for him.

that was way obvious from the question. :rolleyes:

Proseguru

no power at all .. its the law ... you cannot lie because their is a law against it .. there is no such law the other way

thats why you dont talk to police

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">