• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HunnyBunBun

What a mess my friend has got herself into! We are looking for some help to get her out of a terrible mess.

She lives in South Carolina but charges are in North Carolina.

Let me start by explaining the situation. My friend met this guy on the internet a long while back. The got serious talking on the phone and computer and by email. He was at the point where he was telling her he loved her even though they had never met.

Anyway during these months and months of talking but being a long distance away from each other they had a very close relationship. Well back in August she got into a car accident. Her insurance didn't total her car. Well she didn't want a fixed car that she would be scared of and since they were talking all day everyday she told him all about this. Well, they seached for another car just like the other one around her town here and his town up there and on the internet as well. The finally found one they liked that was in North Carolina not near either one of them. She asked me to drive her up there to get the car and we made plans to make that trip approx 5 days later. He decides that he wants to give her the money to buy this car. They shared the same bank but had different accounts, he went to his bank and deposited into her account the money for the car. She goes and gets the money out and all is well and fine between them and that planned day we go buy the car.

Two days later she never hears back from the guy. He writes an email stating that his brother had come over and assault him, they had got in a fight, and his brother ripped the phone lines out the wall, stommped his cell phone and hit him so hard he had a broke rib. He said he would call her as soon as he could.

Three days later she still hadnt heard from him. She calls his local police dept and asked them to drive by his house and check on him. They said they couldnt but gave her the number of an officer and she left that officer a voice mail. She lied on the voice mail by saying she was his fiance and that she lived with him but was out of town. She didn't do this to cause a problem with police but to create a sence of urgency in their eyes about him and her. Not that she was just some friend.

By the time the officer called back she was well on her way up there to go check on him herself, it had been hours. She told him she didnt need his help. Once she got there to his house, the officer was waiting for her and arrested her for a misdomeanor for filing a false police report. She never filed one she had just lied to police about their situation.

Anyway the cop informs her shes got pending felony charges for taking this mans money. She never took anything, stole anything or asked him for this money. He offered it and did it on his own free will. Now he's trying to say its fraud. She's talked to a lawyer and the lawyer says she'll probably be charged with obtaining money under false pretenses, considering they had never met.

What kind of punishment is there involved with this type of stuff. Is there anything she can charge him with for going back and taking the money? We are very scared and don't understand what has happened. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
Bunny

seniorjudge

By the time the officer called back she was well on her way up there to go check on him herself, it had been hours. She told him she didnt need his help. Once she got there to his house, the officer was waiting for her and arrested her for a misdomeanor for filing a false police report. She never filed one she had just lied to police about their situation.

Sounds like filing a false police report to me. Now that your credibility is shot with the cops, it's going to be for you to say you didn't con this guy.

Son of Slam

Let me guess

The money is in escrow for the house down the street from him.
He finally got a look at you.
He has decided to go back with his ex-wife.

Heather2

Son of Slam said:
The money is in escrow for the house down the street from him.
He finally got a look at you.
He has decided to go back with his ex-wife.

LMAO!!! I was thinking the same thing. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">