• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When Lt. XX made a false citation, is it fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldySJSU

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

:eek:I received a citation No: T410493 written by Lt XX falsely states that I committed a traffic infraction. There was no violation that was defined in Division 11 Rules of the Road of the 2009 California Vehicle Code. My speed as documented on his ticket was legal; there was no mention of any driving practice as defined by CVC Division 11 Rules of the Road.

In fact I was given a similar CVC equipment violation for violating CVC 26708(a) which was valid, and I corrected the problem. The ticket was issued by Officer XX of the CHP Ticket No: 95622KS. The officer made it clear that the ticket was NOT a TRAFFIC INFRACTION and made no notation at the top of the citation. This is proof that my analysis is sound and correct. The CVC 25950(a) issue is NOT A TRAFFIC INFRACTION.

Thus the entry of a traffic violation was a false document, written by the Lieutenant XX. This act can be defined as fraud under the following definition:

“FRAUD intentional deception resulting in injury to another. Elements of fraud are: a false and material misrepresentation made by one who either knows it is falsity or is ignorant of its truth; the maker's Intent that the representation be relied on by the person and in a manner reasonably contemplated; the person's ignorance of the falsity of the representation; the person's rightful or justified reliance; and proximate injury to the person. See 310 F. 2d 262, 267.

It "usually consists of a misrepresentation, concealment, or nondisclosure of a material fact, or at least misleading conduct, devices, or contrivance." 234 F. Supp. 201, 203. It embraces all the multifarious means which human ingenuity can devise to get an advantage over another. It includes all surprise, trick, cunning, dissembling and unfair ways by which another is cheated. At law, fraud must be proved, in equity it suffices to show facts and circumstances from which it may be presumed. 425 P. 2d 974, 978. See generally Model Penal Code §224. See also deceit.

FRAUD IN LAW fraud that is presumed from circumstances, where the one who commits it need not have any evil intent to commit a fraud;

Steven H Gifis, Barrons Law Dictionary 3rd Edition, Page199

DECEIT the tort of fraudulent representation. "The elements of actionable deceit are: a false representation of a material fact made with knowledge of its falsity, or recklessly, or without reasonable grounds for believing its truth, and with intent to induce reliance there-on , on which plaintiff justifiably relies on his injury." 300 P. 2d 14, 16.

Steven H Gifis, Barrons Law Dictionary 3rd Edition, Page120

Lt. XX , has extensive trainig and experience was clearly knowledgeable of the action he was taking.

Please read the following information prior to your answer. This information might be very informative:

Notes to clarify nature of citations:

3 Kinds of Citations

There are 3 kinds of citations where the police can give you a ticket:

Infraction traffic tickets

If the police stop you for driving too fast or running a red light, they can charge you with an infraction and give you a "Notice to Appear" ticket. If you don't have proof of your car insurance, you'll be charged with an infraction for driving without proof of insurance.

(California Courts: Self-Help Center: Traffic: Traffic Information)

Traffic Infractions are defined by the California Vehicle Code in Divisions

The scope of division 11 Rules of the Road is defined as:

Scope of Division
21001. The provisions of this division refer exclusively to the operation of vehicles upon the highways, unless a different place is specifically referred to.

Traffic Infractions are defined in Division 11 of the California Vehicle Code Division 11 Rules of the Road

(2009 Vehicle Code General Provisions and Divisions 1 - 18 Table of Contents)

Please view the above link inside Division 11, It is titled Rules of the Road, I cannot post the table it is too long and it would surpass the character limit of the post.

Equipment Infractions are the following:

Division 12 Equipment of Vehicles
Chapter 1 § § 24000-24018 General Provisions (Equipment of Vehicles)
Article 15 § § 25950-25952 Light Restrictions and Mounting
Chapter 4 § § 26700-26712 Windshields and Mirrors

A police officer is only authorized to act on equipment violations based on the following information:

Unlawful Operation After Notice by Officer

24004. No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1 or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment have been made to conform with the requirements of this code.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to an employee who does not know that such notice has been issued, and in such event the provisions of Section 40001 shall be applicable.

Amended Ch. 171, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980.

(V.C. Section 21070 - Public Offense: Unsafe Operation of Motor Vehicle)

Cal Penal Code 830.1 does not apply to equipment violations alone based on the following:

Typically police officers are authorized to pull a vehicle over based on CVC 25950 because of the following Cal Penal Code 830.1:

(1) As to any public offense committed or which there is probable cause to believe has been committed within the political subdivision that employs the peace officer or in which the peace officer serves.

(CA Codes (pen:830-832.17))

However there is a major flaw in this code. The term public offense cannot apply in this situation. This is because traffic infractions like CVC 25950 cannot be public offenses based on the Cal Penal Code 689.

If you look at Cal Penal Code 689 it states:

“689. No person can be convicted of a public offense unless by verdict of a jury, accepted and recorded by the court, by a finding of the court in a case where a jury has been waived, or by a plea of guilty.”

Thus the use of traffic infractions on CVC 25950 does not apply and cannot warrant a police officer to pull you over except in the following ruling that I will concede:

Under the People v. Tennessee case 84 Cal. Rptr 697, the unsafe driving of a vehicle was decided to be allowed as “public offense”. This is because in this case decision that there was a clear danger to both persons’ and property. The decision states:

“Finally, once the officers, even though not in uniform or in a designated patrol car, observed the speeding vehicle in a residential area it was a proper exercise of their authority as peace officers to stop the driver, for they had reasonable cause to believe that the driver of the station wagon had committed a public offense in their presence (§ 836, subd. 1, Pen. Code) "Public offense" includes misdemeanors and traffic infractions as well as felonies.” (People v. Tennessee, 4 Cal.App.3d 788, 791 [84 Cal.Rptr. 697].)

However, citation No: T410493 falsely states that I committed a traffic infraction. There was no violation that was defined in Division 11 Rules of the Road of the 2009 California Vehicle Code. Other Officers confirm that this was not a Traffic Infraction but an Equipment Infraction. My speed as documented on his ticket was legal; there was no mention of any driving practice as defined by CVC Division 11. Thus the entry of a traffic infraction was a false document, written by the Lt. George McCloskey, who had extensive trainig and experience was clearly knowledgeable of the action he was taking, was not within Cal Penal Code 830.1. If I had violated any of Division 11, I would not be in a position to argue this matter.

I would never argue that if a person was driving a vehicle in a manner that threatens public safety would fall under my situation. Also any other observable criminal behavior obviously does not apply in my argument. However, only when it is demonstrated that CVC 25950 violations take place at the same time as poses the same kind of threat as Driving Under any Intoxicant, or disregard to the “driving” rules as stated in the Tennessee case, then Cal Penal Code 830.1 would definitely apply. This is based on the Tennessee case is on page 279 section 10 of West’s Annotated California Code 830.1.

There is some serious work that needs to be done to clarify the California Codes in general because there is too much inconsistancy or conflicting language.

Last edited by a moderator:

outonbail

(1) As to any public offense committed or which there is probable cause to believe has been committed within the political subdivision that employs the peace officer or in which the peace officer serves.

It is not necessary for there to have actually been a public offense committed, only for the officer to have believed there was.

GoldySJSU

Outonbail, please help by answering my question

We are not answering the question I asked, which is a false statement made on a citation become fraud?

I have pointed out that another law enforcement officer correctly cited me for a valid equipement violation, but made sure it was never defined as a traffic infraction. He specifically told me it was not a traffic infraction as I posted earlier:

I received a citation No: T410493 written by Lt XX falsely states that I committed a traffic infraction. There was no violation that was defined in Division 11 Rules of the Road of the 2009 California Vehicle Code. It was a violation potentially of Division 12 titled Equipment of Vehicles. My speed as documented on his ticket was legal; there was no mention of any driving practice as defined by CVC Division 11 Rules of the Road.

In fact I was given a similar CVC equipment violation for violating CVC 26708(a) which was valid, and I corrected the problem. The ticket was issued by Officer D of the CHP Ticket No: 95622KS. This also is in Division 12 Equipment of Vehicles. The officer made it clear that the ticket was NOT a TRAFFIC INFRACTION and made no notation at the top of the citation. This is proof that my analysis is sound and correct. The CVC 25950(a) issue is NOT A TRAFFIC INFRACTION.

Thus the entry of a traffic violation was a false document, written by the Lieutenant XX.
I will persist to ask where in common law or statute does the California law state that an equipment infraction is the same as a traffic infraction?
It appears that this question gets people so upset that my last post was deleted.

Please provide an answer to this question? It’s very important, because until I get this information, one can only conclude that the citation written by XX was fraudulent. XX was a lieutenant, with many years of training and experience, how could he take this action without understanding how inappropriate it was?

I have worked with Massachusetts’s law enforcement for many years, and never have there been any situations like this.

And even though it is not liked the traffic infraction issue directly relates to the powers of a law enforcement officer to pull you over because of the violation of the 4th amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Thus any action not justified by the Tenessee decision would make any citation invalid if the officers conduct does not comply with the condition of :

“Finally, once the officers, even though not in uniform or in a designated patrol car, observed the speeding vehicle in a residential area it was a proper exercise of their authority as peace officers to stop the driver, for they had reasonable cause to believe that the driver of the station wagon had committed a public offense in their presence (§ 836, subd. 1, Pen. Code) "Public offense" includes misdemeanors and traffic infractions as well as felonies.” (People v. Tennessee, 4 Cal.App.3d 788, 791 [84 Cal.Rptr. 697].)

What public offense did I perpetrate or was I suspected of perpetrating when the officer pulled me over?

It cannot be CVC 25950(a) because it is not a traffic infraction.

Was I speeding, DUI, improperly driving, or breaking any provisions regarding division 11 and 11.5 of the CVC Code titled Rules of The Road or DUI? If there was it would have been on the citation, it was not. So that means I could not be suspect of it.

Was I committing any other crime, what was the evidence to support the suspicion of committing a crime?

Can you please explain this?

CdwJava

Some definitions ...

40000.1. Except as otherwise provided in this article, it is
unlawful and constitutes an infraction for any person to violate, or
fail to comply with any provision of this code, or any local
ordinance adopted pursuant to this code.

So, failing to comply with a provision of the code is an infraction (a public offense).

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:​
Note that 25950 states that the state SHALL be followed. Failure to comply with this provision of the code is an infraction pursuant to CVC 40000.1.

He believed you were in violation of the Vehicle Code based upon the color of your lights. This belief gave him reasonable suspicion for the detention. Upon further inspection he believed that there was probable cause to believe you had committed a public offense per CVC 25950. As such, he released you with a signed promise to appear - a citation - for that offense.

Are we REALLY going to have to rehash the definition of a crime or public offense once again?

Move on to something else, Goldy. This is a non-issue unless you intend to argue that the majority of the Vehicle Code is unenforceable. Good luck with that.

- Carl

GoldySJSU

Hello CdwJava

Some definitions ...

40000.1. Except as otherwise provided in this article, it is
unlawful and constitutes an infraction for any person to violate, or
fail to comply with any provision of this code, or any local
ordinance adopted pursuant to this code.

So, failing to comply with a provision of the code is an infraction (a public offense).

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:​
Note that 25950 states that the state SHALL be followed. Failure to comply with this provision of the code is an infraction pursuant to CVC 40000.1.

He believed you were in violation of the Vehicle Code based upon the color of your lights. This belief gave him reasonable suspicion for the detention. Upon further inspection he believed that there was probable cause to believe you had committed a public offense per CVC 25950. As such, he released you with a signed promise to appear - a citation - for that offense.

Are we REALLY going to have to rehash the definition of a crime or public offense once again?

Move on to something else, Goldy. This is a non-issue unless you intend to argue that the majority of the Vehicle Code is unenforceable. Good luck with that.

- Carl
Long time no see.

However this still does not explain the fraud regarding calling this citation a traffic infraction on the citation.

This still also does not excuse the officer from not investigating to determine that light instensity was beyond the legal limit. He has the right possibly to investigate, but without any other evidence other than his word he would be making a false allgation. A person cannot recieve a citation without any evidence. His "belief" is not sufficient enough to wrrent the citation. The Santa Clara County Appelate court said as such because of the following:

And as to District Attorneys: Delores A. Carr, Ben Field, Martha Donohoe, and Laura Aizpuru-Sutton as officers of the court have a duty to inform the court that their own records did indicate that the commissioner’s decision was based on unsubstantiated allegations. And more importantly as the appellate court transcript reports, the attorney refused to answer a simple yes or no question regarding the issue that an officer’s oral testimony is not sufficient evidence to substantiate a conviction of a traffic infraction CVC 25950. The transcript was:

“THE COURT: If I may interrupt you.

MR. GOLDSTEIN: Sure.

THE COURT: You seemed to be in an area where you are basically presenting additional evidence which isn't appropriate in this hearing.

MR. GOLDSTEIN: Okay.

THE COURT: However, I don't mean to cut you off, but I did have a question for the People, if I may. Could you point to what testimony or evidence by Lieutenant McCluskey that supports the conviction of the Vehicle Code section 25400?

MS. AIZPURU-SUTTON: Your Honor, the brief is written by my predecessor. I believe he cites only to the officer saying the light was bright. That's the extent of my answer, Your Honor.

THE COURT: And would you agree or disagree that that appears to be insufficient in light of the language of the statute?

MS. AIZPURU-SUTTON: I would just say, Your Honor, that brightness -- brightness was the word that was used, and that doesn't seem to be the language of the statute and that's probably as far as I'll go.

An officer's visual perception is not sufficent to warrent a citation. The court ruled that is the case. because of the following from the court decision:

Appellant's argument that there is not substantial evidence that Appellant's lights were bright enough to violate the statute is well taken. Vehicle Code section 25950, subdivision (a) applies to the color of lamps exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. This section further provides that all emitted light from lamps visible from the front of the vehicle shall be white or yellow unless provided otherwise. Vehicle Code section 25400, subdivision (a) provides that any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp or device on the exterior of the vehicle that emits a diffused non-glaring light of not more than 0.05 candela per square inch of area. Vehicle Code section 25400, subdivision (b)
provides that any diffused non-glaring light shall not display red to the front but may display other colors.

Here, the settled statement does not indicate that XXX ever testified that Appellant's lights were bright enough to satisfy the threshold of the 0.05 per candela requirement set forth in Vehicle Code section 25950, subdivision (a). Therefore, there is not substantial evidence to support Appellant's conviction."

XX had no evidence of a violation of CVC 25950(a). He cannot make allegations without any evidence to warrant it. He cannot by use of vision relaibly or validly assume that lights are illegal under the CVC 25950(a) because human vision cannot perceive light intensity to the percision required under the the CVC code. Thus, there is NO REASONABLE WAY he could suspect that the lights in question were a violation of the CVC 25950(a).

Thus the provision of CPC 830.1 and the Teenesse decision establishes that the officer had no grounds to suspect me for a TRAFFIC INFRACTION. Again, my issue is without a TRAFFIC INFRACTION or suspsion of a violation of a TRAFFIC INFRACTION under Tennesse, a officer has no authority to detain you.

A law enforcement officers privileges to pull a person over while driving on the public roads is based on Cal Gov. Code 830.1 which states:

However in the case of People v. Tennessee, a traffic infraction provides an officer the duty to pull a car over and I quote:

However, there is a major difference in the ruling of Tennessee and the plaintiffs complaint. The CVC 25950 is NOT A TRAFFIC INFRACTION, it is an EQUIPMENT INFRACTION, thus the Tennessee case does not provide a law enforcement officer the right to pull the driver over solely based on the equipment of the vehicle, thus it is outside the scope of an officer to abuse police power in this manner. When officers do so in this kind of case, it categorically is police harassment under the power of law. Their actions are not justified or allowed under California law.

I will do more research regarding CVC 40000.1 in the annotated code to see if this code has been determined by common law to apply in this particular issue.

CdwJava

However this still does not explain the fraud regarding calling this citation a traffic infraction on the citation.
Read 40000.1 once more and you will find out WHY it is an infraction.

Since you feel so strongly,then hire an attorney and sue the officer and the agency. I hope you have a LOT of money to pay the attorney as the attorney will likely want it up front. of course, if the attorney feels that he is going to get spanked for a frivolous suit, then he ain't gonna touch this with a ten foot pole!

The definition of the section is rather subjective. You won your matter on appeal. Due process had its day and you won. So what is the point in beating this already dead, decomposed, and broken down into carbon, horse?

Move on with life. It was a traffic ticket, for Pete's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">