• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where can illegal immigrants go to get information on an arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k29

I would like to know where someone who is illegal can go to get a record of why they were arrested and the outcome of the case without being put at risk for deportation opon enquiring or even after. This is in NY state.
Thanks in advance!

CdwJava

I would like to know where someone who is illegal can go to get a record of why they were arrested and the outcome of the case without being put at risk for deportation opon enquiring or even after. This is in NY state.
Thanks in advance!
Check with the local courthouse either on line or in person. I doubt very much that they will inquire as to citizenship - much less detain anyone and call ICE.

Eekamouse

Instead of wasting your time looking for this information, why don't you talk to your illegal immigrant friend about trying to do things the right way by going back and reentering this country legally so he doesn't have to worry about things like this? I don't know why illegal immigrants don't think enough of this country they're in to follow the procedures to gain legal citizenship rather than just breaking the laws and residing in the US without attempting to do things the right way. My great, great grandparents came to this country the right way. Sneaking into the US never even crossed their minds. They came here wanting to become Americans and were so proud when they achieved their goal. Ugh! Nevermind. I know what a touchy subject this is to some people so I'll just stop now.

swalsh411

I highly doubt the clerk at the local courthouse is going to give a rat's behind as to anybody's immigration status. That would only come up if somebody were arrested.

Mass_Shyster

I don't know why illegal immigrants don't think enough of this country they're in to follow the procedures to gain legal citizenship
Maybe it's because if they're not related to someone they have no legal means to enter, or if they're not closely enough related to someone they have to wait twenty years for their application to be processed.

Eekamouse

Maybe it's because if they're not related to someone they have no legal means to enter, or if they're not closely enough related to someone they have to wait twenty years for their application to be processed.

That's probably true in many of the cases and it seems to me that if having to wait that long for permission to enter this country is more than a person wants to do, maybe they ought to consider other life options for themselves. If their own country sucks so bad that ours in the current state that it's in actually looks good to them, they should commit to working for changes to make it a better place to live, not abandon it because the grass looks greener over here. Being unwilling to wait through whatever ridiculous process our country requires of them is no justification for skirting the process and living here illegally. That's all I have to say about that and I sincerely apologize, Stevef, if I come off sounding antagonistic in my response.

k29

Instead of wasting your time looking for this information, why don't you talk to your illegal immigrant friend about trying to do things the right way by going back and reentering this country legally so he doesn't have to worry about things like this? I don't know why illegal immigrants don't think enough of this country they're in to follow the procedures to gain legal citizenship rather than just breaking the laws and residing in the US without attempting to do things the right way. My great, great grandparents came to this country the right way. Sneaking into the US never even crossed their minds. They came here wanting to become Americans and were so proud when they achieved their goal. Ugh! Nevermind. I know what a touchy subject this is to some people so I'll just stop now.
I really didn't ask for your personal opinion about illegal immigrants. If you thought it was a touchy subject you should have stopped before you even posted. My grandparents too came legally because back then it was much easier to get a geencard. I hate when people feel the need to voice their opinions on things that weren't even asked. Btw he did not sneak in he entered with a visa and circumstances prevented him from leaving.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As Carl said, the courthouse where the case was adjudicated. No clerk, court officer, police officer, or other court employee will care or even ask what the person's status is.

I don't know how one could be arrested, charged, and have their case adjudicated without having ANY clue as to what happened, but it's obviously possible. The person in questions should have gotten SOME written document from the court with SOME information on it.

I also don't see why someone else couldn't make the same inquiry on behalf of this person - that information should be publicly available.

HighwayMan

Depending where in NYS the arrest took place, this site would the most likely to have details:
Apparently not if the case was already adjudicated...

WebCrims provides information on criminal cases with future appearance dates for selected New York State Courts of criminal jurisdiction.

k29

As Carl said, the courthouse where the case was adjudicated. No clerk, court officer, police officer, or other court employee will care or even ask what the person's status is.

I don't know how one could be arrested, charged, and have their case adjudicated without having ANY clue as to what happened, but it's obviously possible. The person in questions should have gotten SOME written document from the court with SOME information on it.

I also don't see why someone else couldn't make the same inquiry on behalf of this person - that information should be publicly available.
Thank you. the person does not speak english that is why he is kind of confused about what happened. I too was surprised that they did not give him any sort of documentation as to what happened. I thought about inquiring for him but I wasn't sure if I could.

HighwayMan

I thought about inquiring for him but I wasn't sure if I could.
Go ahead and try. If there is some reason that the information cannot be given to you then you'll find out - but even if that's the case you can't get into trouble for inquiring.

This isn't New York City is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">