• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why aren't the police doing anything about this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hearfocus

We live in Nevada and my husband, who is 60 and thereby qualifies to be a victim under Elder Abuse laws, has been harrassed repeatedly with obscene phone calls from a male California relative. I transcribed the calls (they are very, very bad), put them on a cassette tape, and my husband filled out the police report himself. I also included a copy of Nevada law about obscene phone calls and a few definitions of elder abuse on an extra sheet. The police acted appreciative of all that we did.

It's been 10 days and the person is still calling daily although it has decreased. We did not change our phone number yet due to the cost and vast inconvenience, plus we want this person prosecuted; we are just saving up the evidence. My husband did call the police once and told them it is continuing.

The police seem like they are making excuses to us, and yet the law clearly says this can be prosecuted at either state's location. Why don't they jump on this when a senior is clearly getting emotionally distressed? I even told them I have seen obscene phone calls jumped on by the prosecutors in another county. Yet they are being so blase' about it. Are they purposely making the caller think he is safe before they spring something on him?

chris86

I would go to Radio Shack and purchase something to enable you to record these calls...You said you had to transcribe them...that is not proof enough...a recording, coupled with police documentation of dates/times of calls, and I would contact the phone company, quite possibly the FCC. That may be a little over the top, but definitely contact the phone company for assistance. Good luck. I, too, have annoying relatives.

hearfocus

chris86 said:
I would go to Radio Shack and purchase something to enable you to record these calls...You said you had to transcribe them...that is not proof enough...a recording, coupled with police documentation of dates/times of calls, and I would contact the phone company, quite possibly the FCC. That may be a little over the top, but definitely contact the phone company for assistance. Good luck. I, too, have annoying relatives.
I thought I said I did tape them and give the tape to the cops. (Oh well, it's in the middle of the night here!) I did call the stupid-ass SBC phone company and there is nothing they can do to block out of state calls. Nor do they care in the slightest that we are being victimized and they made that clear. They won't even waive the charges involved to change our number and make it unlisted. I guess that leaves the FCC. I think they'll say the same thing. We are going to try for a restraining order but it may not be able to be done cross state lines.

seedpuppy

If Im not mistaken don't some states actually have a law about how many times a person can call someone and if they exceed that amount I do believe its considered stalking try to look in to it if its true in your state file it as being stalked maybe they'll pay attention then......truth is some places just feel its a less important aspect of the law.......Then you have some towns where (such as mine) Where as long as you a cop what they want they'll leave you alone........but that's a different story hope this helped a little...

CdwJava

The laws that apply here would be the laws of NV. That state may not permit a felony charge (such as stalking) by way of excessive telephone calls. If the obscene calls are a misdemeanor, chances are NV is not going to extradite from California to prosecute someone on a misdemeanor.

There ARE ways to block certain numbers from your phone ... try asking SBC on how to block the number this person is using. I believe it involves hitting a couple of numbers and the star key from your phone - though I'm not sure which combination.

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with out-of-state misdemeanor offenses there is very little that can be done. The local police might be able to call the police department where the suspect lives and ask if someone there will go by and have a chat with the suspect and tell him to knock it off. That sometimes works.

Good luck.

- Carl

hearfocus

Thanks Carl.

SBC phone company insists there is no way to block long distance calls with them.

You are right; this is a misdemeanor and the most we can hope for is that the Cal police will go over and have a chat with him. It's been over two weeks now, though, and we've heard nothing back from the cops.

???

CdwJava

hearfocus said:
Thanks Carl.

SBC phone company insists there is no way to block long distance calls with them.
Contact your long distance carrier - see what they say.

You are right; this is a misdemeanor and the most we can hope for is that the Cal police will go over and have a chat with him. It's been over two weeks now, though, and we've heard nothing back from the cops.
Unfortunately it is not a high priority for them, and depending on the size of the agency you may NEVER hear back from them unless you get a subpoena to court. You may have to simply continue to report the violations. Eventually they will get tired of taking the reports and someone will do something to stop the problem.

- Carl

chris86

If contacting SBC, your local carrier, isn't helping, if you have caller ID, I would have an officer document the dates and times of the calls, and I would take that information to that person's carrier..go straight to the source. Quite possibly, the carrier that they are using will begin to monitor the situation. The reason that your local law enforcement aren't doing anything is for just that reason...they're local to YOU...contact the PD in his town, send them documentation of the problem, and that might do it. And get a really loud whistle. Don't be congenial...blow out an eardrum, just make sure it's the right person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">