• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why do Police Officers Twist the Facts in the Police Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usamanav

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was assaulted by 5 mexican males near my house - i saved myself by not coming out of my pickup and locking my self in - some one called the police and before the police arrived all of the mexican guys just stood away from me - all this took place because i did not pay them for the roof work one of them had done on my house - but he put cheaper quality shingles instead of putting the shingles which he had promised in the written contract.

The Police Officer told me to leave becasue he did not want that they should follow me - I left - when I got the copy of the police report - Officer did not write any of the Facts and Statements I had made - instead Officer had twisted the Statements I had made in the Report in such a way that it helps the Mexican Guys who were assaulting me. Also, Police Officer did not arrest any of them - Officer did not Positively Identify all of them and their automobiles in the Police Report. When I tried to contact the Police Officer many times and left messages for him to find out why did Officer twist the truth and put words in my mouth - made the statements in the police report which i did not even make - But he will not return my phone calls and finally he did not come forward directly in front of me to talk to me - via another officer i learned that he will never change the police report he had written.

I am very much disappointed in police and I believe that after I had left those mexican guys had bribed the officer to do all this - but I do not have any proof. Does it happen that Police Officers accept Bribes and write what ever they want in a police report - how can i get some legal help to have the report corrected. thanks for your advise.

CdwJava

Write your own version of events and ask that it be added to the case file. You can also speak to a supervisor and ask that the matter be re-examined for possible criminal charges. If the police submit it to a prosecutor, it is that prosecutor who will decide if any charges at all should be filed in the incident.

You are also free to try and sue the men for what they did to you. A civil suit has a lower burden of proof than a criminal charge so if the issue is one of "he said, they said" then you might stand a better chance of prevailing in a civil court than a criminal one.

No one here can offer any explanation as to why the officer did not write what you think he should have written. None of us were there, none of us know what happened or how it transpired, and none of us know what was in the officer's mind. If you have an issue, go to the officer's supervisor(s).

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was assaulted by 5 mexican males near my house - i saved myself by not coming out of my pickup and locking my self in - some one called the police and before the police arrived all of the mexican guys just stood away from me -
Near my house does not provide a clear description of where you allege this assault took place. Were you closer to, or on the property belonging to the "Mexican" who was not paid for the services he provided? If not, where exactly were you and why did you stop and get out of your vehicle in the first place? Could it have been one of the Mexicans who called the police and requested their involvement?
all this took place because i did not pay them for the roof work one of them had done on my house - but he put cheaper quality shingles instead of putting the shingles which he had promised in the written contract.
It is certainly understandable that someone would be upset over not being paid for a job they completed. This doesn't give them the right to assault you, but I can understand their frustrations. The assault would be a criminal matter and the dispute over the shingles being right or wrong, would be a civil matter. However, I will say that deciding not to pay for the entire job after it was completed, is not the way a reasonable person, with a good moral compass and a little common sense would handle the situation. It is more typically the way a scammer and or someone wanting something for nothing would handle it.

Had you had brought up your concerns about the materials not being what you were expecting, or what you believe didn't meet the quality of what was in the contract and spoke to the company and/or person who was installing them, before the entire job was completed, you wouldn't have been assaulted or had the problems you are now facing over the police report.

Realize, I'm not passing any judgment over who is right or wrong in the civil end as I don't have any facts or personal knowledge of the agreement you entered into for the roof. I'm just suggesting you could have handled the situation much better than just deciding you didn't have to pay for the roof and then think that would be the end of it.

I also don't know what you are claiming happened to you and what you consider an assault. I do find it hard to believe that you were pummeled by five roofers, or one roofer and four friends, yet the police didn't arrest anyone. In fact they told you to leave, not the five other men. Why? I know, you claim the officers did so in order to make sure that these men wouldn't follow you, but I can't understand why. These men, or at least one of them, roofed your house, they already know where you live, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Another thing that doesn't make sense is why, after you were locked in your truck (and according to you before the police arrived) and these men had stood away from you, didn't you drive away? What made you remain there if you were in danger?
when I got the copy of the police report - Officer did not write any of the Facts and Statements I had made -
Statements are not always facts.
instead Officer had twisted the Statements I had made in the Report in such a way that it helps the Mexican Guys who were assaulting me.
This raises the question, how did it help them? Did they take you to civil court and prevail? Did they submit this police report as a part of their evidence in a civil case?
Also, Police Officer did not arrest any of them - Officer did not Positively Identify all of them and their automobiles in the Police Report.
Was there ever a criminal case filed against anyone over this incident? You don't suggest that there was and if not, the officers probably made an incident report and not actually an official police arrest report. So if there was no crime, at least the police felt there was no crime or no evidence of a crime, there would be no reason for them to identify everyone and their vehicles. No reason to gather evidence or interview witnesses.

When I tried to contact the Police Officer many times and left messages for him to find out why did Officer twist the truth and put words in my mouth - made the statements in the police report which i did not even make - But he will not return my phone calls and finally he did not come forward directly in front of me to talk to me - via another officer i learned that he will never change the police report he had written.
My guess would be that the officer got the impression that you were trying to scam someone out of the money owed them for putting a roof on your house. If they did not see any visible injuries from five men assaulting you, they may have thought you were not completely honest in your assault allegations and trying to develop further justification for not paying the roof bill. If the alleged assault was not at your home and it was you who traveled to where you knew these men would be, they may have felt you were the instigator.

These are of course just my thoughts, just a guess as to why things didn't go the way you would have liked or expected.

I am very much disappointed in police and I believe that after I had left those mexican guys had bribed the officer to do all this - but I do not have any proof.
I seriously doubt this was the case. If you had visible physical injuries and/or required medical treatment because of this assault, the police officer would have to be a complete idiot to take a bribe. How would he explain not arresting someone when you show up at the hospital beat up? I don't think many officers are stupid enough to take a bribe when there are multiple parties involved. Besides, they couldn't bribe the officer, they weren't paid for the work they completed on your house so they were probably suffering financially at this point.
Does it happen that Police Officers accept Bribes and write what ever they want in a police report -
Whether it happens or not has nothing to do with your situation. Did it happen in your situation is what matters and I seriously doubt that it did.
how can i get some legal help to have the report corrected. thanks for your advise.
Carl gave you the best advice to this question.

Now although I am not recommending it, if your so sure the officer is open to receiving bribes, give it a try. But don't come crying when you are arrested for trying to bribe an officer into breaking the law.

A couple questions/observations I have. If you felt the material used on your roof wasn't what they agreed to use per the contract, then why:
1. didn't you stop them when they arrived with said wrong materials and not allow them to install the entire roof?
2. Why didn't you try to negotiate something between you and them where you would offer to pay a lower material cost, since they used cheaper material?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">