• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why Would I Get a Certified Letter from the Sherriff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drseuss8675

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received a notice in my mail box that I have a certified letter from the Sheriff of the county where I live. The only things that I can think of that I may have done wrong are not paying of medical/ambulance bills (trying to get them to bill my correct insurance). I accidently max'ed out my charge card (two days ago) and have already made the payment to bring it back under the max. I tried to do some volunteer work at the County Juvinille Corrections Center back this Spring. I ran into some health problems that wouldn't let me continue, but was notified after I had stopped volunteering that when I did my background check and fingerprinting, my fingerprints didn't take and needed to come back in. I called in and explained I was done volunteering and was told that I was fine.

My house is in my husband's name. Our family car is in my husband's name. So I don't think it is anything to do with those things.

I have a former close friend who would do anything to make my life more difficult so I am scared that she did something wrong and gave my information. I am still having health (and money) issues so I am scared to go get the letter and be on the hook for something that I didn't do.

My logical brain is that if it is really that important, the Sheriff's office has my address and can come find me and/or talk to me.

If I go pick up the letter (or have someone go pick up the letter for me) am I on any legal hook? Does anyone know what type of matter this might be?

racer72

The Free Advice crystal ball does not work for certified letters, sorry. You will have to pick it up to see what it's about. You will have to pick it up, the post office cannot release it to anyone but you. Failure to pick it up will not make the problem, if there is one, go away, it will only make things worse. The last and only time I received a certified letter from a law enforcement agency, they had found some property of mine and wanted to return it to me.

waitinMd

And ten minutes later you posted concerns about shoplifting? Who really did the lifting? who really got the letter?

Last edited:

drseuss8675

WaitinMD,

Actually discussing my concern over the letter prompted my daughter to 'fess up. She expressed some concern that the letter was meant for her but because she is at college (out of the county), they sent it to me...

While I understand that people may do bad things and try to get advice on how to get out of the situation, maybe I am more logical than most of America, but if I was looking for honest advice to help me out and I was a crook, then would it be worthwhile to ask for advice on only half the truth? "Hey, help me fix my problem, but I won't tell you what it is..." Doesn't seem like a very effective method for problem solving.

I went to the post office this morning to attempt to pick up the letter and they couldn't find it. They said the post man may still have it. Since Monday is a holiday, will just have to wait until Tuesday to find out... Mentioned this to a couple of my neighbors and 2 of them had received their certified letters. Theirs have to do with local neighborhood break-ins and asking us to fill out a questionairre to catch this home invader. Figure most likely it has to do with that...

Thank you for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your daughter is an adult, why do you think YOU would get a letter regarding HER criminal behavior?

the letter will probably be followed up with the sheriff knocking on your door. are you scared of getting the letter? maybe he is just inviting you to a birthday party or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">