• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Disorderly conduct charge affect financial aid or CCW guns license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bloverlong

What is the name of your state (Columbus, oh)?

I was jumped by 4 or 5 people, beat pretty bad. However after leaving the hospital discovered im being charged along with the people who beat me up with "disorderly conduct." Ok im set to begin college less than 3 weeks after my court appearance this Friday.(1/28/2016) If in court i were to plead "not guilty" and the case is sent to trial. Would i still be able to enroll in college? even with a pending charge? Or would it be best to just plead "guilty" pay the $120 fine and have the disorderly conduct charge permanent on my record? Also if i were to plead guilty would this hinder me from obtaining a guns license? I currently have no criminal record; and im 31 years old. Thank You.

Just Blue

I was jumped by 4 or 5 people, beat pretty bad. However after leaving the hospital discovered im being charged along with the people who beat me up with "disorderly conduct." Ok im set to begin college less than 3 weeks after my court appearance this Friday.(1/28/2016) If in court i were to plead "not guilty" and the case is sent to trial. Would i still be able to enroll in college? even with a pending charge? Or would it be best to just plead "guilty" pay the $120 fine and have the disorderly conduct charge permanent on my record? Also if i were to plead guilty would this hinder me from obtaining a guns license? I currently have no criminal record; and im 31 years old. Thank You.
Depends...Perhaps. I would consult with a criminal law attorney.

Mt_Vernon

A "pending" charge is much better than a conviction. If you plead guilty, then you will have a criminal record. Your criminal record can prevent you from getting employment, getting into college, and owning firearms.

And why would you want to plead guilty to anything when you were the victim?

You should be suing the people who attacked you, for hospital bills and pain and suffering.

By the way, how did you find out that you were being charged? Were you arrested and handcuffed? Did you receive a summons in the mail?

FlyingRon

If you're criminally charged, you need an attorney. While having the charge PENDING is better than a conviction, I guess, it's still pretty bad. A lot of things won't be granted to you with PENDING charges. You really need to have them dismissed or be found innocent.

Disorderly Conduct is not a disqualifying offense for an Ohio CCW. It's not going to be an issue for FEDERAL aid, whether your state/institution has issues with giving money to criminals you'll have to check.

bloverlong

A "pending" charge is much better than a conviction. If you plead guilty, then you will have a criminal record. Your criminal record can prevent you from getting employment, getting into college, and owning firearms.

And why would you want to plead guilty to anything when you were the victim?

You should be suing the people who attacked you, for hospital bills and pain and suffering.

By the way, how did you find out that you were being charged? Were you arrested and handcuffed? Did you receive a summons in the mail?

MT Vernon,

Thank you so much....and I love you. Youhave no idea how much that meant to me, since ive always been keen on having a clean criminal record. To answer your question a police officer showed up to my door 2 hours ago with a pink slip to appear in court. No. I never was arrested or placed in handcuffs. I'm going to take your advice and plead "not guilty", as that was my original plan. But im still concerned if I'll be able to enroll in college if im also attending trial under an unfortunate "disorderly conduct" charge?

Thanks again.

FlyingRon

What kinds of problems can there be with pending charges?
Well if the pending charge was for something that would be disqualifying often your application is put in suspension until the charges are resolved if not rejected outright. For example, if his pending charge was on the laundry list of things that bar you from a CCW in Ohio (it isn't, but lets say it was), he'd not get the permit while still pending.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">