• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I be convicted and do jail time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thessler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a previous felony theft charge on my record from 10 years ago. My previous employer is saying I used company accounts for personal charges. I paid one of these accounts off in full already and plan on paying the other one off next week. The employer told me I could pay off the 1st account and they wouldn't involve the police. They found a second account I had also used so they changed their mind even after I had paid it off. An investigator contacted me and we discussed the charges. I told them I had permission to do this it just took me longer to pay them off than I had planned. The employer is saying I never had permission. The investigator wants to turn this over to a district attorney. Since by the time it gets to a district attorney I will have paid these both off, what are the chances the district attorney will choose not to press felony charges? If he does press charges, do you know if I'll just be looking at probation or possible jail time? I can't prove the employer gave me verbal permission to use these accounts and because of my prior record everyone assumes I'm already guilty.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a previous felony theft charge on my record from 10 years ago. My previous employer is saying I used company accounts for personal charges. I paid one of these accounts off in full already and plan on paying the other one off next week. The employer told me I could pay off the 1st account and they wouldn't involve the police. They found a second account I had also used so they changed their mind even after I had paid it off. An investigator contacted me and we discussed the charges. I told them I had permission to do this it just took me longer to pay them off than I had planned. The employer is saying I never had permission. The investigator wants to turn this over to a district attorney. Since by the time it gets to a district attorney I will have paid these both off, what are the chances the district attorney will choose not to press felony charges? If he does press charges, do you know if I'll just be looking at probation or possible jail time? I can't prove the employer gave me verbal permission to use these accounts and because of my prior record everyone assumes I'm already guilty.
Whether or not the amount you are alleged to have misused will be paid back, does not matter. It is still at the very least misuse of funds, and even possibly embezzlement. What charges you face will be up to the district attorney.

In so far as your guilt and people's assumptions ~ if it quacks like a duck...it's probably a duck:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">