• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will My Expunged Record Show Up with FBI Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RnHopeful2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA and DE

I am applying for an RN license in Delaware. I was arrested 10 years ago for shoplifting and my records was immediately expunged. I contacted the PA expungement office and they did not find any records of me. THe lady on the phone also looked up her FBI file using my name and social security number. She found nothing of me there.

She then told me that with my fingerprint check via FBI, nothing would show up.

Is this true?

My whole life is riding on this.

mulldoone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA and DE

I am applying for an RN license in Delaware. I was arrested 10 years ago for shoplifting and my records was immediately expunged. I contacted the PA expungement office and they did not find any records of me. THe lady on the phone also looked up her FBI file using my name and social security number. She found nothing of me there.

She then told me that with my fingerprint check via FBI, nothing would show up.

Is this true?

My whole life is riding on this.
It is hard to say. The lady who was trying to look up your file with the FBI may only have limited access to their information (i.e. the record she was trying to locate is on a different server).

And keep in mind that just because your information does not show up on an FBI background check doesn't mean it won't show up later on down the road under a different background check (NICS, NCIC, NCRD, etc.) or even from a PEO (Professional Employer Organization; an outside Human Resource agency that a lot of companies are now going through so they don't have to spend the time performing the investigation themselves).

If you have any doubts, you might want to consider investing in a background check so that way you know for sure.

And if for some reason it shows up, you may need to contact an attorney who specializes in expungement law.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">