• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my friend be arrested at the DMV?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Plantqueen

Long story short, my friend ran from the police to resist arrest and got away. They assume there will be a warrant out for their arrest, but they have contacted multiple bail bondsmen, lawyers, and even have done personal research, and no one can seem to find any information regarding their potential warrant or even the charges they could be facing. The charges would definitely not be driving or lisence related, and are possibly enough to be considered a felony. I have a few questions regarding the entire situation:

Is it possible that the warrant has been posted but is not yet accessible to people outside of the judicial system?

***If this is possible, is there a chance that the DMV has access to this kind of information that is not viewable by the public? They would like to obtain a lisence or at least a photo ID before attempting to handle the legal situation since they were never given back their previous ID.

Finally, is there a possibility that the warrant will never be posted in hopes that the cops will run into them again and charge them with everything all at once? Meaning, they're trying to build a more solid case on them in attempt to get more money out of the entire situation.

Mostly they would just like to know how safe it would be for them to go to the DMV to obtain a lisence without being arrested if the warrant is not yet visible by online databases or any of the search engines used by lawyers or bail bondsmen.

Thanks!

quincy

Long story short, my friend ran from the police to resist arrest and got away. They assume there will be a warrant out for their arrest, but they have contacted multiple bail bondsmen, lawyers, and even have done personal research, and no one can seem to find any information regarding their potential warrant or even the charges they could be facing. The charges would definitely not be driving or lisence related, and are possibly enough to be considered a felony. I have a few questions regarding the entire situation:

Is it possible that the warrant has been posted but is not yet accessible to people outside of the judicial system?

***If this is possible, is there a chance that the DMV has access to this kind of information that is not viewable by the public? They would like to obtain a lisence or at least a photo ID before attempting to handle the legal situation since they were never given back their previous ID.

Finally, is there a possibility that the warrant will never be posted in hopes that the cops will run into them again and charge them with everything all at once? Meaning, they're trying to build a more solid case on them in attempt to get more money out of the entire situation.

Mostly they would just like to know how safe it would be for them to go to the DMV to obtain a lisence without being arrested if the warrant is not yet visible by online databases or any of the search engines used by lawyers or bail bondsmen.

Thanks!
Plantqueen, what is the name of your state (and your friend's state)?

CdwJava

Long story short, my friend ran from the police to resist arrest and got away. ... The charges would definitely not be driving or lisence related, and are possibly enough to be considered a felony.
Brilliant move ... Great choice of friends. :rolleyes:

And if he possibly committed a felony to escape as you indicate, I can only assume that the lunkhead used force or the threat of force on the officers or others in an effort to make his escape!

They assume there will be a warrant out for their arrest
We can only hope!

Yes.

***If this is possible, is there a chance that the DMV has access to this kind of information that is not viewable by the public?
Yes.

Really?!?! You REALLY think that the police, the prosecutor, and the judge (who would have to sign off on the warrant) are somehow conspiring to turn this into multiple cases in an effort to get more money out of the dirtbag who fled? Really??

If your friend is really lucky, then they will never ID him and never seek a warrant. But, since it appears from your tale here that the police have his name, it is likely only a matter of time before justice (and karma) catches up to him.

He can flip a coin ...

Plantqueen

He did not use force against the cop, he ran on foot and no one was endangered. I meant the charge he may be potentially facing could be a felony.

How would the DMV have access to this information if they are not associated with the justice system and not even the best lawyers and bondsmen in town can find any sort of pending charges or warrants under his name?

commentator

Since he can afford the best lawyers and bail bondsmen in town, why's he asking us?

But the DMV is a state agency, and as a state agency, which very frequently has to deal with people who have warrants and charges pending who do not need to be given a driver's license for any of these sorts of many different reasons, they usually have access to all the outstanding warrants and the people who have been charged with all sorts of relevant things in their databases.

Its not so much that they'd come out and arrest him, it's that when he applied, he'd be turned down, and the information they'd picked up would transfer to the criminal justice system, making it a lot easier for anyone who wanted to to find him. But since he's got to have a license or he's going to be in trouble for sure, and he's NOT sure that this thing of fleeing from the police is still an issue with an outstanding warrant, you just have to decide, does he feel lucky?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He could just turn himself in. That will save him a LOT of time and money in the long run.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If I was you I would let my "friend" deal with his own problems while staying as far away from him as possible.

CdwJava

He did not use force against the cop, he ran on foot and no one was endangered. I meant the charge he may be potentially facing could be a felony.
And what was this felony crime?

This is the kind of person you ant as a friend??! What's that say about you??

How would the DMV have access to this information if they are not associated with the justice system and not even the best lawyers and bondsmen in town can find any sort of pending charges or warrants under his name?
There are ways ... and lawyers and bondsmen do not have access to the same systems the cops do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">