• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will a pending case show up on a background check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ty0604

If you have a case pending and it's likely to be dismissed (or you're going to be found not guilty), will that show up on a background check when applying for an apartment? The applications all say that "applicants with pending cases will be denied...." It's for Trespass I and it's going to be dismissed but not for another few weeks, I'm not sure when it'll be officially thrown out. Or I'll be found not guilty once the video footage is reviewed. Either way, I'm just not sure if I'm wasting my time and money applying for places who are going to deny be based on a pending case.

dave33

If you have a case pending and it's likely to be dismissed (or you're going to be found not guilty), will that show up on a background check when applying for an apartment? The applications all say that "applicants with pending cases will be denied...." It's for Trespass I and it's going to be dismissed but not for another few weeks, I'm not sure when it'll be officially thrown out. Or I'll be found not guilty once the video footage is reviewed. Either way, I'm just not sure if I'm wasting my time and money applying for places who are going to deny be based on a pending case.
It all depends on the state.

Ty0604

Oregon/Washington.... Sorry, didn't think it mattered what state it was in when it came to background checks.

FlyingRon

You were wrong and "Oregon/Washington" isn't a state. What state are charges pending in?
Arrests are often public knowledge. What the status of charges are once an arrest is made is a bit more involved.

Ty0604

Oregon/Washington as in I'm curious about both states.... Sorry. I ran a background check on myself and nothing comes up but it wasn't as thorough as a company with a bunch of money would have.

CSO286

Oregon/Washington as in I'm curious about both states.... Sorry. I ran a background check on myself and nothing comes up but it wasn't as thorough as a company with a bunch of money would have.
Or as bright.

One can simply go down to the courthouse and view upcoming court calendars ad see who has hearings for what charges... Many jurisdictions even post them online.

Ty0604

They don't post pending court cases here, either at the courthouse or online. The background check I ran on myself was the second tier one, just below what a management company would run.

I've some experience with background checks. I think it is very unlikely that an arrest without resolution would show up in a landlord's investigation utilizing commercial outfits. Yeah, your arrest will show up on the national FBI database (if you were fingerprinted) or locally at your police station, but a typical landlord is not going to being checking those.

FlyingRon

Multnomah County (which includes Portland) very much does published arrest records (even mug shots) as do about half the other counties in Oregon and nearly all the ones in Washington state. All you have to do is look at Mugshots.com.

Ty0604

I don't live in Multnomah County. I did a search of mugshots.com (using all variations of my name) and nothing shows up. Interesting website though, thanks.

Thanks for the insight beta.

Ty0604

Correction: When they booked me, they spelled my last name wrong. I do show up under the incorrect spelling.

Oh well - Up to them to correct their mistake, I have a few times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">