• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will the police come back tonight for an arrest warrant, my son is really scared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennip

Va

my fiance has an arrest warrant for failure to return rental property. Over a yr ago, he signed at rent a center for an old boss, the boss made some payments, and stopped and moved, no forwarding info.

My fiance was arrested for this once , given 60 days to pay 1800.00 we could only come up with 1200.00 and they wouldnt accept it. We have had 5 72 hour notices in 8 months and ended up using the money for rent, to keep our home of 6 yrs. We have an 8 yr old son. He had a 1500.00 bail the first time.

Today, they came to my home, from the city next to us, 6 officers, like he is some murderer, they were mean and even though i asked, they were not discrete in front of my 8 yr old boy, who is now scared to death.

I told them he wouldn't be home til the end of week and they left a card and told me to tell him to call to turn him self in. He really is out of town on work

will they come back tonight, my son wants to sleep with me , he is scared im going to jail now, how often will the come back

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Va

my fiance has an arrest warrant for failure to return rental property. Over a yr ago, he signed at rent a center for an old boss, the boss made some payments, and stopped and moved, no forwarding info.

My fiance was arrested for this once , given 60 days to pay 1800.00 we could only come up with 1200.00 and they wouldnt accept it. We have had 5 72 hour notices in 8 months and ended up using the money for rent, to keep our home of 6 yrs. We have an 8 yr old son. He had a 1500.00 bail the first time.

Today, they came to my home, from the city next to us, 6 officers, like he is some murderer, they were mean and even though i asked, they were not discrete in front of my 8 yr old boy, who is now scared to death.

I told them he wouldn't be home til the end of week and they left a card and told me to tell him to call to turn him self in. He really is out of town on work

will they come back tonight, my son wants to sleep with me , he is scared im going to jail now, how often will the come back
How would WE know if they'll come tonight?
Since your fiance knows they're looking for him, maybe he should turn himself in so that the child is protected from that trauma...

quincy

Va

There is no way for anyone on this forum to tell you if the police will be back tonight or how often they might come back to retrieve your fiancé.

I hope you have provided some reassurance to your son that you will not be going to jail. Any time parents are arrested or faced with an arrest, children are naturally going to be scared. This is just another reason for parents to live within the law.

This might be a good time for your fiancé to get an attorney.

justalayman

Va

I believe you have misspoken. I seriously doubt they would not accept the $1200. I believe they would not accept it as payment in full but I have rarely seen a creditor or a court that would not accept a partial payment.

He had a 1500.00 bail the first time.
well gee, $1200 that you had plus the bail of up to $1500 is...[calculating] ....

$2700. I think that would have been more than adequate to pay off the $1800 debt...[calculating]....

$900 remaining. Wow, you could have bought a great bottle of wine with what was left over.

Mt_Vernon

well gee, $1200 that you had plus the bail of up to $1500 is...[calculating] ....

$2700. I think that would have been more than adequate to pay off the $1800 debt.

The $1200 was not accepted. So, the $1200 was not given.

Thus, the $1200 may have been used towards the $1500 bail.

Also, was the bail actually $1500? Or only 10% of that ($150)?

Zigner

The $1200 was not accepted. So, the $1200 was not given.

Thus, the $1200 may have been used towards the $1500 bail.

Also, was the bail actually $1500? Or only 10% of that ($150)?
I seriously doubt they mailed back the check with a note saying "sorry, all or nothing".

Mt_Vernon

I seriously doubt they mailed back the check with a note saying "sorry, all or nothing".
Who said that any check was mailed? Perhaps the debtor called the creditor on the phone and asked the creditor to accept $1200. And the creditor refused.

Zigner

Who said that any check was mailed? Perhaps the debtor called the creditor on the phone and asked the creditor to accept $1200. And the creditor refused.
EXACTLY! The point is that the debtor never actually attempted to pay the $1,200. All the creditor had was lip-service and a long history of the debt not being paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">