• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will this show up in a background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jane_doe

What is the name of your state?TX

Hi, I'm not really sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but here goes:
about 2 years ago, I was in a terrible fight with my soon to be ex husband. I could never find the strength to fight back before this incident ( it was a very abusive marriage) because I loved him so much. Sounds really stupid now. I never called the police before either. Anyway, this one incident he had been drinking and taken some sort of drug, and I was at a friends house. He came over , dragged me out by my hair, once i was outside I ran , he tried to run me over in his truck, and it just escalated from there. He was like a madman, I didn't even know who he was. I fought back this time. His parents drove to our house and picked him up and took him back to their house ( at my request). He called the next morning and said he was coming back, and I was scared. I called the police to come and pick me up. I got my dog and threw a few clothes in a suitcase and started walking down the road ( i was afraid he would show up before the police). The deputy picked me up, and I don't remember why but we went back to my house. When we got there he was there with his parents. The deputy took a statement from me, then went up to the house to take a statement from him. Neither of us pressed charges....jump forward to almost a year ago, I called the police department to find out about the records the had of the incident, and all they could tell me was that he was listed as the victim. I don't know why. I only fought back in self-defense. I guess maybe his injuries where worse than mine. Ok , my question is this: since no charges were pressed, will this show up in a background check? :confused: I have a job lined up and they are going to run a background criminal check on me. I am so scared. If this does show up in a background check is there anyway I can get the report changed? I would like to add that I know there are men who are abused by their wives and I truly feel bad for them because of the lack of support they recieve, but this is definitely NOT the case here. Any advice / comments are welcome. TIA.

CdwJava

There is no way to know if it would show up in a background check. There is no such thing as a generic "background check" and every employer, investigator, and agency has different policies and rights of access.

Always assume that it will turn up. But if you weren't arrested, and no charges were apparently pressed, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Carl

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Speaking as an employer who has run many a background check, there's no way to offer a GUARANTEE. But it is unlikely that it will show unless your prospective employer runs a MUCH deeper check than is usually done.

Dandy Don

Go to the police department and look at the specific record (in the printed file) and on the computer to see if and how it shows up. Even if your name showed up, it would be as a plaintiff (the person making a complaint) in what is probably a domestic violence situation. If your name shows up as a plaintiff, that is normal and would be no reason to worry about because that could not prevent you from getting a job.

There are also companies that will do a background check on you for about $100 and give you the results, but that should be done only as a last resort.

Or, ask the potential employer to show you your background check to specifically look at what THEY are seeing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"ask the potential employer to show you your background check to specifically look at what THEY are seeing."

I can just about guarantee that this will not happen. With certain exceptions which do not apply here, an employer has no legal obligation to show an applicant their background check and in fact, some states specifically forbid an employer from showing references (which are a major part of a background check) to the applicant/employee.

All background checks are not created equal. Many do not include ANY part of a criminal record, and those that do are primarily looking at convictions. It would be HIGHLY unusual for an employment background check to dig as deeply as this would take.

J

jane_doe

Just wanted to say thank you for your comments. It has really put my mind more at ease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">