• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will You Get Arrested if You Don't Show Up when Subpoenaed to Be a Witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Agreed. IF he was ordered to appear from a face to face meeting with the prosecutor or any other officer of the court that would suffice for confirmation. Maybe such a meeting was omitted in the original thread. .
or it may not have taken place yet but I can 100% guarantee the prosecutor is not going to take this to court until they speak with the victim. That guarantees a face to face meeting so evading court by claiming they weren't served is just not going to happen.

CdwJava

Service by First Class mail, or even certified mail may be sufficient for service in NJ.

In any event, the OP indicated that the victim intended to ignore the subpoena that she HAS been served with (apparently by mail somehow) and then deny receiving it. In other words, the OP has indicated that his aunt will commit perjury to protect her abuser. Though not an uncommon occurrence, it is possible that the prosecutor and the court will be prepared for this event and either continue the matter or send someone to pick her up (something I have been ordered to do a few times in my career).

OHRoadwarrior

In a domestic, it usually results in a contempt of court citation and you can be held until the trial. I was being light hearted in my answer of an abused spouse not wanting their abuser prosecuted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">