• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frenzeed

What is the name of your state? SC

An old girlfriend of my friend has his passport and will not return it, because she says he owes her money. He has emails from her stating that she will hold it until he pays her. He doesn't believe he owes her and they are currently in a small claims court situation. What can he legally do to compel her to return the passport to him?

frenzeed

I wasn't sure where to post, there was a similar question in this topic. Let me know if I should go elsewhere.

He hasn't gone to the police. Should you go to the police? Is it considered theft if it was left at her home and she won't give it back? Or does the State Department take care of this?

fairisfair

yes, when someone has something that belongs to you, and you didn't give it to them, and they won't give it back. That is considered theft. Start by calling the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">