• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering what i should do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

febreze2222

What is the name of your state?The state is Michigan.

In the past year and a three quarters I have recieved two MIP's and went through a probationary period for shop lifting. The first MIP was paid for here at school, Western Michigan University, as I was 18 at the time. That is all that was done, I paid the ticket and went forward. This past August I was arested for shop lifting and was given probation for 6 months and the paid the fines...the probation included a class and was to remove the offense from my record unless caught again. This was also at school.

Now I have recieved another MIP one year later, visting home in another town, same state. I really do not know what steps I should take. My parents know about both drinking tickets, however, I never told them about the shop lifting. My questions are:

What happens with a second offense MIP ticket?
Will the shop lifting arest come up, and will it hurt me?
Should I get Legal Help for my court date?
If there is anything else you can include that will help me I would appreciate it.

tsk7199

response

I am not at all experienced in this matter but i do know one thing for sure. You are going to need legal help. Most courts if you don't have money to pay for an attorney will grant you a public defender the day of your court date. Sometimes you can even postpone your case being heard with a public defender. Your arrest for the shoplifting will come up its all on record. They may hold it against you. The best way to find out is either hire an attorney or like I said request a public defender. OOh i just thought of something.......I am not sure if you have to be in custody to request one? Somebody may be able to answer that if you call the court house. If I were you look in the phone book if you want answers now........some attorneys will offer a free consultation. Use them for that free hour and find out what you can? Thats what I would do. Hope this helps at least a little.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">