• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worng information on an arrest record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wayne353

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Florida I was applying for a Carry conceal license when I was told that it could not be approved because they found an arrest in Fairfax Virginia for trespassing in August 10 1971. This can not be me because I was in California. I called Virginia courts and they told me they record of this arrest. When I called FL. and told them that they said I would need a statement from them stating this. When I asked Va, For this statement they told me that I would need to send them the background check with this info. on it. I paid for a background check. and there was nothing on it.
But Fl. states there is and will not give me a copy, so that I can dispute it.
HELP
Wayne

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Florida I was applying for a Carry conceal license when I was told that it could not be approved because they found an arrest in Fairfax Virginia for trespassing in August 10 1971. This can not be me because I was in California. I called Virginia courts and they told me they record of this arrest. When I called FL. and told them that they said I would need a statement from them stating this. When I asked Va, For this statement they told me that I would need to send them the background check with this info. on it. I paid for a background check. and there was nothing on it.
But Fl. states there is and will not give me a copy, so that I can dispute it.
HELP
Wayne
You are entitled to know the specific background check company used by Florida so you can dispute any erroneous information showing on the report. Insist on this information (or have an attorney do the insisting for you).

You said that Virginia has a record of your arrest, too, so you will want to contact the agency in Virginia that recorded your arrest so you can correct the record at its source.

wayne353

You are entitled to know the specific background check company used by Florida so you can dispute any erroneous information showing on the report. Insist on this information (or have an attorney do the insisting for you).

You said that Virginia has a record of your arrest, too, so you will want to contact the agency in Virginia that recorded your arrest so you can correct the record at its source.
I called Virginia they told me that they have no record of an arrest of me at any time that I lived there. When I told Florida they told me to get a statement from Virginia show that they don't have any record of the arrest but Virginia told me with out the background check showing the arrest they could not do that. That's when I asked for the report they told me that they could not give it to me. They told me to go get a FBI background and send that to them. I don't want to have to pay for another one and the FBI check takes about 10 to 14 weeks. I'm at a lost of what to do.

xylene

A misdemeanor arrest that is over 3 years old should not disqualify you anyways...

Quite honestly, you are not going to resolve this without a lawyer and / or spending money tracking this all down.

You really need a lawyer.

quincy

It only costs $18 for a copy from the FBI of your Identity History (criminal record history) but you are right that it takes awhile to get it. The website (link below) says the time for processing a request is currently 12 to 14 weeks.

In case you decide to order a copy, here is a link to instructions on ordering: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

As a note: Trespassing in Virginia can be charged as a misdemeanor or as a felony. Trespassing can preclude one from qualifying for a conceal carry permit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">