• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried after calling 911..... please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aradhit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Hi,

Over a verbal argument, I called 911 yesterday to resolve a dispute between me and my husband. We recently moved to US from another country. The cops came after few minutes and left with our contact details and gave us a warning.

I am worried now, a lot. Will there be any records of the call? Because they gave us a warning, will they track us and check if there is any progress? Can this be on papers and create any new issue if I apply for a new job or any issue with my husband's career and job/visa?

Please also advice if it is wise for me to stay here or move back.

Thank you!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Hi,

Over a verbal argument, I called 911 yesterday to resolve a dispute between me and my husband. We recently moved to US from another country. The cops came after few minutes and left with our contact details and gave us a warning.

I am worried now, a lot. Will there be any records of the call? Because they gave us a warning, will they track us and check if there is any progress? Can this be on papers and create any new issue if I apply for a new job or any issue with my husband's career and job/visa?

Please also advice if it is wise for me to stay here or move back.

Thank you!
You did not get the answer from the old threads you read and printed off? I thought CdwJava explained nicely how police handle these matters. It is the same in Michigan as it is in California.

If you made the 911 call because of an argument between you and your husband and there was no physical abuse involved, the police will have an incident report to refer to if there are any additional problems between you and your husband that result in another police call - but this single incident should not affect prospective employment for you or affect your husband's career. No arrest was made.

Last edited:

aradhit

You did not get the answer from the old threads you read and printed off? I thought CdwJava explained nicely how police handle these matters. It is the same in Michigan as it is in California.

If you made the 911 call because of an argument between you and your husband and there was no physical abuse involved, the police will have an incident report to refer to if there are any additional problems between you and your husband that result in another police call - but this single incident should not affect prospective employment for you or affect your husband's career. No arrest was made.

I was doubtful since those posts were from 2003. Thank you for your response.

quincy

I was doubtful since those posts were from 2003. Thank you for your response.
It was actually smart for you to double check because the passage of time often does make a difference. But in this particular area, things have remained nicely the same and the information provided in the earlier threads is still good information. :)

I wouldn't worry about this one incident. You received, as the police told you, a "warning" and nothing more.

That said, you should not hesitate to call the police again should the circumstances warrant a call. Usually verbal disputes do not require police intervention but, if there is any fear that the dispute can become physical, it is always best to have the police on hand to prevent an argument from becoming violent.

Good luck.

OHRoadwarrior

I hope you have learned your lesson about making unwarranted domestic violence phone calls. When the police come, they are usually looking to take someone to jail, which results in a restraining order and the one arrested being advised to come no where near the caller. That usually means your relationship is over and you get to support yourself alone. It is not a method of teaching someone a lesson. Especially if you get arrested for abusing 911.

quincy

I hope you have learned your lesson about making unwarranted domestic violence phone calls. When the police come, they are usually looking to take someone to jail, which results in a restraining order and the one arrested being advised to come no where near the caller. That usually means your relationship is over and you get to support yourself alone. It is not a method of teaching someone a lesson. Especially if you get arrested for abusing 911.
CdwJava actually addressed this, in one of the earlier threads that aradhit read.

He said that, even with disputes that have not escalated to the point of physical violence, police in California will often remove one of the parties from the home and take them to jail, to quell the argument. If I can locate a link to the old thread, I will post back with it.

CdwJava also listed some of the more bizarre 911 calls the police in his area have received - incidents not exactly of an emergency nature. I think misuse of the 911 system is not that unusual.

aradhit

I have not mentioned anywhere that I wanted to 'teach someone a lesson'. I just quoted the incident and asked for specific information. You don't know me or how my life is. Please don't judge and comment based on just one incident.

Also, the call I made was not in any way unwarranted. Neither was I abusing 911. The laws are more strict now when compared to several years back because people already abused 911 in a million ways. Obviously the genuine calls will seem like they belong in the crowd.

I feel more abused here, posting just one incident and looking for answers.

quincy

I have not mentioned anywhere that I wanted to 'teach someone a lesson'. I just quoted the incident and asked for specific information. You don't know me or how my life is. Please don't judge and comment based on just one incident.

Also, the call I made was not in any way unwarranted. Neither was I abusing 911. The laws are more strict now when compared to several years back because people already abused 911 in a million ways. Obviously the genuine calls will seem like they belong in the crowd.

I feel more abused here, posting just one incident and looking for answers.
I am sorry you received responses you did not like. That happens sometimes on forums where our posts can drift a bit from the actual questions asked.

I want to stress again that you should not hesitate to use the 911 system anytime you fear for your safety. If you think that an argument can escalate into violence, you want the police there to protect you (and your husband). That is not a misuse of the system.

That said, in some areas (for example, if you live in Detroit), you might find yourself waiting a long time for a police response so it is best to learn ways to de-escalate any argument before a 911 call becomes necessary. This could potentially be as simple as learning to walk away until things cool down.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">