• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong plate number.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpierce

I live in Massachusetts. I have a problem. In my state cops can tell if a registration is bad by a few pointers while trying to dig up evidence against drivers. First is the 1 inch sticker that is on the plate they can tell by the color and by the number on the sticker. Secondly they can tell by the grouping of letters and numbers on the plate itself. Normal plates in Massachusetts have 3 numbers folowed by 3 letters. my plate is different it's four numbers and two letters. I have been stopped specifically for this at leat 11 times in the last month alone. All by state and local cops. I want to know if my rights are being violated I have not violated any laws. I have followed the speed limits, seat belt laws. In all stops they were forced to let me go because running my plate was the last step in gathering evidence against me the cops had. I want to know if using the computer system in this way is a violation of my civil rights and my right to privacy. In most cases using a computer network such as the dmv records is logged so I have each case whre they entered my information into the system both time and date. I think I have a pretty good case of cops abusing a system that was put in place to catch people who violate the law not me. I don't if anyone can help but at least i am playing by the rules.

JETX

Sorry but your logic as to some nefarious assignment of plate numbers simply does not work. In order for it to be valid, they would have to have somehow predetermined that you were somehow 'branded' in advance to give you that suspect plate number.

It is far more likely that the old 3-3 numbering plan has simply exhausted all the possible combinations and the state then added a 4-2 numbering system.
Check with your local RMV office.

M

meerkat3232

???

You may need to clarify what is happening and what you are asking. Has any of these 11 officers told you what it is about the plate that draws their attention? If they are 11 different people, they must be doing what they were trained to do. You may want to run this by the DMV and see about getting a newer or updated plate. Police are allowed to run plates randomly to check for certain things. Your vehicle may fit the description of a stolen one like it, and there are probably a few other reasons police may run a plate. Essentially, that plate is the state's property not yours. There is no privacy issue here. If the same cop stopped you 11 times, yes that would be harrassment. 11 different cops, no, there is something about that plate that looks out of place to them and they are doing their job. If they run the plate, and it does check clean, I don't see whay they would bother stopping you. And no matter what style of plate or grouping of numbers there are, is irrelevant to whether or not the plate is registered. If it rings up unregistered, it is due to a computer problem not linking the reg number to that plate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">