• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trueisraelite84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I have a question concerning my boyfriend. Last Thursday June 25, 2009 my boyfriend was arrested. The officers said they had a warrant for his arrest for robbery, assault, property damage, theft under a hundred, along with conspiracy for all the above charges, in total 14 charges. He was charged for something he did not do because we were together the night it happened, in fact the old man that is accusing him of this, I saw walking around just fine. Now after my boyfriend and I left the house these things happened to him. A friend of his and some guys next door were outside at the time I was there and I assume they were there when it happened. No one else was questioned or charged. When my boyfriend got his charge papers it states that the man heard his voice and he did all these things. Mind you we lived at the same house with this man for over 6 monthes and he is elderly over 90 years old, but he does drugs and in fact had an altercation wih the neighbors earlier that day for drugs. Now both my boyfriend and his friend, which the old man knows, have Trinidad accents. I tried to post bail for him, but it's set to $100,000, and was not lowered. Now my boyfriend, Willis, does have priors but he definitely did not commit the crime they are accusing him off and it's totally wrong. I can't get him out because I do not have the bail, and a lawyer wants $7500 to represent him. I don't understand how hearing a person can get him arrested when you physically see no one. What can I do to help him besides testify on his behalf that we weren't present at the time of the incident? And can I sue the police because when they picked him up, we were at a hotel, they searched me, had me on the floor, they tazed him for no reason after we compiled to everything they asked. We did not in no way resist, but they tazed him anyway. They found I had no warrants, but never did they say why they were doing all that. And they didn't break the door down or anyhing because we opened it willingly. He has lost his job behind this as well and he was on the news. Any advice you can give is appreciated thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

If they had a warrant for his arrest, the arrest was good. If the officers used unnecessary and excessive force to affect the arrest your boyfriend can file a complaint with the police department and consult an attorney about a lawsuit.

In the short term, he needs to consider a criminal defense attorney.

If there is proof that he is innocent then he should come out okay in the long run.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">