• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully accused of assualt on 11yr old..help plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdb0822

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) RI

A week ago, I took my 2 sons and their friend (11yr girl) to my son's baseball game. The girl knew our family was going to an amusement park the next day and she asked if she could go with us. I told her most likely she couldn't because we simply wouldn't have room in the car. She was very pushy about going. After about 30 minutes of being at the field, the girl said she was bored and wanted to go home. So, myself and my other son drove her home and I returned to the field.

Just a few minutes later, my wife called me telling me her father came to our door and said that the mother was taking her to the police station to file a complaint because the girl said I put my arm around and tried to kiss her. (which is obviously false).

At 10pm that evening, while I was on my way home from Walmart, my wife called and said the police were at the house and they wanted me to goto the station to talk with them. I immediately called my step-father (retired court sheriff) and he advised me to consult a lawyer first. So, since it was friday and no lawyer in the office until Monday, I kept a low profile over the weekend (knowing they would probably lock me up until monday anyways)

Monday comes and I meet with the lawyer, who tells me to simply go home and if the cops arrest me, to call him and he'll be there. Well, while I am in his office, my wife calls and says the Child services is at our home, and the family that accused me (they live across the street) not only called them but they are on their porch watching our house to see if the state takes our kids away.

They didn't take the 2 kids that were there, and our other 2 kids were camping with their dad (my wife's ex), so the state would interview them later in the week. The lady from the state told my wife I was not allowed back in the house until child services says so. My lawyer left message after message for the state child service person, and never got a call back, nor did my wife get a call back this week when she called her and she ignored my calls too. Now, she is supposedly going to my wife's ex's house tommorow to speak with those 2 kids.

My concern is me being able to be with my family as well as just what the police are planning to do. This family has a history of causing problems with several neighbors and the daughter that made the accusation has anger issues, etc including be hospitalized 6 months for an attempted suicide because her boyfriend broke up with her (she is 11, thats pretty messed up to me) My oldest daughter tells us that she is constantly lying and making up stories and she has no friends at school outside of our kids. The mother of the kid has told some of nieighbors about it and she watches my wife like a hawk whenever she is outside.

What can I do?

CdwJava

It sounds like you are doing all you realistically CAN do - you have an attorney handling things and are, hopefully, heeding the attorney's advice. As frustrating as it might be, you may have to let the child services and police investigations run their course.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">