• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongly Accused of a crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tedwards2269

Back in 2006, I received a knock on my door stating that I had a warrant out for my arrest for forgery. At the time I did not know that I was a victim of identity theft. The police officer did not arrest me, but gave me contact information on where the supposedly forgery took place. I found out that it was in Douglas County. I went down there and took out a police report. I also asked if I should go ahead and turn myself in to plead not guilty until I found out what was happening. I was told no that the situation would take care of itself. I then proceeded to follow up with tracking how my identity was stolen. I then was offered a job in the state of Mississippi, and contacted Douglas County to ask them about my case, and let them know about my job offer. I was told that the judge upheld my warrant, and that the charges were dropped. I have all of this paper work.
When I arrived in Mississippi, I was arrested at the DMV and was told that I had a warrant for my arrest. I showed the officer my paper work, but ended up spending a week in jail, and was sent back down to GA, and stayed another two days in Douglas county. I got out, and got a court date. I hired a lawyer, but lost my job, and couldn’t pay them anymore. I was then told that my cased would be considered a rico clause, and that I would have to go to trial with three other people who I don’t know. I had a public defender that could provide me with no evidence but a signature that did not compare to mine. That was all they had. My public defender ended up getting sick in January, and I ended up pleading guilty to a crime I didn’t commit. I just want another advice on what to do because I cannot afford to pay probation.

Antigone*

Back in 2006, I received a knock on my door stating that I had a warrant out for my arrest for forgery. At the time I did not know that I was a victim of identity theft. The police officer did not arrest me, but gave me contact information on where the supposedly forgery took place. I found out that it was in Douglas County. I went down there and took out a police report. I also asked if I should go ahead and turn myself in to plead not guilty until I found out what was happening. I was told no that the situation would take care of itself. I then proceeded to follow up with tracking how my identity was stolen. I then was offered a job in the state of Mississippi, and contacted Douglas County to ask them about my case, and let them know about my job offer. I was told that the judge upheld my warrant, and that the charges were dropped. I have all of this paper work.
When I arrived in Mississippi, I was arrested at the DMV and was told that I had a warrant for my arrest. I showed the officer my paper work, but ended up spending a week in jail, and was sent back down to GA, and stayed another two days in Douglas county. I got out, and got a court date. I hired a lawyer, but lost my job, and couldn’t pay them anymore. I was then told that my cased would be considered a rico clause, and that I would have to go to trial with three other people who I don’t know. I had a public defender that could provide me with no evidence but a signature that did not compare to mine. That was all they had. My public defender ended up getting sick in January, and I ended up pleading guilty to a crime I didn’t commit. I just want another advice on what to do because I cannot afford to pay probation.
You plead guilty...the only thing you can do is abide by the terms of your probation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">