• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old boy in serious auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brsmith

What is the name of your state?kansas
My son was in a serious auto accident 3 weeks ago. The other driver was at fault as the police report concludes. The other driver was approaaching my son from the opposite direction and turned inot him going over the top of his car. My son recived a crushed leg (rod inserted), broken are and hand (pinned) and skull fractures requiring titanium plats. His face will requre further plastic surgery to get back to as close as normal as possible. My questions are this:
1)What kind of damages are we (son) entitled to?
2) Would it be prudent to obtain a lawyer?
3) What if the other persons insurance is not sufficient enough to cover costs (doctors think in the 100's of thousands)

rmet4nzkx

brsmith said:
What is the name of your state?kansas
My son was in a serious auto accident 3 weeks ago. The other driver was at fault as the police report concludes. The other driver was approaaching my son from the opposite direction and turned inot him going over the top of his car. My son recived a crushed leg (rod inserted), broken are and hand (pinned) and skull fractures requiring titanium plats. His face will requre further plastic surgery to get back to as close as normal as possible. My questions are this:
1)What kind of damages are we (son) entitled to?
2) Would it be prudent to obtain a lawyer?
3) What if the other persons insurance is not sufficient enough to cover costs (doctors think in the 100's of thousands)
This is serious, get an attorney Monday, they can answer your questions. also contact your local independent living center and ask for advise re rehab programs and Living options, Was there any Brain injury? Contact the KS Brain Injury Assoc. There may be other sources of care and treatment if insurance fails to cover all injuries. http://www.braininjuryresource.org/

R

Raisinette

rmet4nzkx said:
This is serious, get an attorney Monday, they can answer your questions. also contact your local independent living center and ask for advise re rehab programs and Living options, Was there any Brain injury? Contact the KS Brain Injury Assoc. There may be other sources of care and treatment if insurance fails to cover all injuries. http://www.braininjuryresource.org/
Nice advice. Would only add, to brsmith, to make sure to get a very good attorney, not anyone, for example, who advertises on TV or newspapers with the "In a car wreck? We will make sure the insurance company doesn't screw you" sorts of ads. You need a top-grade attorney and this is the sort of case one would be willing to undertake.

A

allenco

I don't know what kind of damages you are entitled to, but I do know that once you contact an attorney, you will no longer be able to work with the insurance company directly in regards to the accident. It all goes through the lawyers after that. Not trying to discourage a lawyer by any means, just throwing in that information.
As far as what happens if the other parties insurance is not enough to cover the expense: In the state of Kansas, if you are involved in an accident and injured, it does not matter who's car you are in, the medical is first handled by your own insurance company. Part of liability insurance in Kansas is Uninsured/Underinsured coverage. If you or any covered individual is hurt and there are not enough or no coverages from the at fault party, this coverage would pay for the insured individuals medical payments up to the limits listed on your own policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">