• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year old involved in accident-no report file, vague as to fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nes2005

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My 16 year old son was involved in an accident. It occurred at a "blind" intersection which requires the driver to actually be partially in the intersection in order to see if there is a car coming from the left. At the exact moment he was doing this, a car drove by and was slightly scraped by the left corner of my son's front bumper.
The police were not called, no one was hurt, and there was what seemed to be slight damage to the other car, no damage to my son's car.
We told the other party to get an estimate, as we wanted to pay for the damage out of pocket, and avoid any higher insurance premiums due to the fact that the our son is only 16 and this is his first accident. I think we made a mistake in doing so because as it turns out, the estimate is $2200.00 and we are questioning if this should be considered anyone's fault, or if the insurance company should get involved at this point.
Please advise as to what we should do and the consequences of such.
Thank You

stephenk

Does this intersection have a four way stop sign? From your post it seems your son had to stop while cross traffic had no stop signs. If that is true, your son is unfortunately at fault. The other vehicle would have the right of way when entering the intersection.

If you dispute the repair estimate and/or cant pay it, I suggest you submit the bill to your insurance carrier and report the accident. sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">