• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16-year old negligent driver injured me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celiadanae

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX

I need some advice on whether to pursue a lawsuit against a 16-year old driver. I was at a complete stop on a side street and he was traveling down the service road. Witnesses stated that he passed them on the service road going at least 70 mph. When he attempted to turn onto the street, on which I was the second car at the stop sign waiting to turn on to the service road, he lost control of his vehicle and never attempted to apply his brakes. He was traveling at least 50 mph at this point. No skid marks. There were 5 witnesses. I am injured (no life-threatening injuries) and don't want to settle anytime soon because I don't know how long these injuries will linger. His insurance company is Allstate and told me that if I settle within a couple of weeks that "there isn't nearly as much paperwork to fill out." My job requires sitting at a computer all day and I have tremendous pain in my hips because of the accident. Do I have grounds for a lawsuit?

Lynx 36

Yes you can sue. Allstate will provide the 16 yr old an atty. Allstate will also only provide coverage up to the policy limits. If there is anything beyond that you would have to try and recover it from the boys parents as he is a minor. Allstate would not provide them an atty f/ that.

What exactly are your injuries and how much damage is done to your car?

celiadanae

The estimate of damages to my vehicle so far is $5,000, BUT this is before they put the car on the rack and check the suspension and frame. The body shop employee said it will be more once they tear the vehicle apart and check everything from underneath.

My injuries are: Contusion to head.....continual headache; whiplash; left shoulder (possible separation...waiting for xray diagnosis); lower back pain on both sides; pain in both hips with pain radiating down legs.

Lynx 36

With the amount of meds you will have b/c of the different injuries I would prob get an atty unless you are a good negotiator. Attorneys usually take a 3rd of the overall settlement and usually 40% if it ends up going to court. Most don't make it to court though. Good luck to you.

celiadanae

Because I have never had to go through something like this before, can you give me the amount of a settlement you would think this would result in? I really do appreciate your advice!

rmet4nzkx

Better check what the bluebook is for your car, because they may just total it if the repairs get too big.

Consult with an attorney, some of your damages such as head injuries may take some time to appear and to be evaluated. You will have to make some decisions based upon the cost of the case and what you might net, also understand that your life will never be the same and this could take years to settle and you may have little to show from it. Also how much time have you taken off from work from the accident and are you covered by health insurance so you can receive routine medical care, some evaluations may not be covered. You may want to ask for an ergonomic evaluation at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">