• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 y.o has bad auto accident then harassed by cops, searched car: New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peregrin

I'm going to post this also in another forum dealing with searches and police actions;

my son had a very bad car accident, he was playing w his phone and drove off a steep embankment, the car was upside down and he found himself hanging from his seat belt and had to crawl into the back seat out the door to get out. the officer on scene assumed it was a dui (it was not, it was 9 AM and he was on the way to school) the officer aggressively searched him and threatened violence.
he searched the car (did he have a right to do that?) and said he found pot, if he did find anything it may have been a burnt piece of paper or some residue, my son would have known if he had anything in the car, but the officer made a big deal about "letting it go this time"; probably to justify his very aggressive behavior toward my son.
and keep in mind my son had just been in a major accident, was in shock, crawled out of a wrecked car, and then had to be traumatized by this cop aggressively searching him, yelling at him, and threatening to "put him on the ground" if he moved his hands off the cruiser.

We're going to court in January to plead down 2 traffic summons (failure to stay right and something else) to keep the insurance down and points off his license. But it really makes me angry that the cops get away with this.
A common occurrence in this town: the kids are constantly getting stopped, questioned and harassed just for walking around. Even if the officer did find something in his car, was this the correct response for an officer after a kid has a major life threatening car accident (his first accident, been driving a year, clean record) that didn't involve anyone but my son and some trees? Is there anything I Can or should do or should I just "be happy" he searched our car illegally and let the imaginary marijuana he found go?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It makes me angry that your kid was paying more attention to his phone than he was to his driving, could have killed someone or himself, and you're more upset about the cop's behavior than your kid's.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to post this also in another forum dealing with searches and police actions;

my son had a very bad car accident, he was playing w his phone and drove off a steep embankment, the car was upside down and he found himself hanging from his seat belt and had to crawl into the back seat out the door to get out. the officer on scene assumed it was a dui (it was not, it was 9 AM and he was on the way to school) the officer aggressively searched him and threatened violence.
he searched the car (did he have a right to do that?) and said he found pot, if he did find anything it may have been a burnt piece of paper or some residue, my son would have known if he had anything in the car, but the officer made a big deal about "letting it go this time"; probably to justify his very aggressive behavior toward my son.
and keep in mind my son had just been in a major accident, was in shock, crawled out of a wrecked car, and then had to be traumatized by this cop aggressively searching him, yelling at him, and threatening to "put him on the ground" if he moved his hands off the cruiser.

We're going to court in January to plead down 2 traffic summons (failure to stay right and something else) to keep the insurance down and points off his license. But it really makes me angry that the cops get away with this.
A common occurrence in this town: the kids are constantly getting stopped, questioned and harassed just for walking around. Even if the officer did find something in his car, was this the correct response for an officer after a kid has a major life threatening car accident (his first accident, been driving a year, clean record) that didn't involve anyone but my son and some trees? Is there anything I Can or should do or should I just "be happy" he searched our car illegally and let the imaginary marijuana he found go?
Q4P (10 letter limit)

quincy

I'm going to post this also in another forum dealing with searches and police actions; ...

my son had a very bad car accident, he was playing w his phone and drove off a steep embankment ... should I just "be happy" he searched our car illegally and let the imaginary marijuana he found go?
Your other threads have been deleted. You only need to start one thread.

I think you should "just be happy" that your son is alive and no one else was killed. The accident could have played out a lot differently.

My recommendation is that you take the cell phone and all car use away from your son until he learns how to use both responsibly.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Your son is trying to distract you from his stupidity by telling you about how mean the big, bad policeman was. Unless you were there to witness the incident, you don't know what happened. I think you need to rethink your position as to who the bad guy is in this picture.

FlyingRon

Once the car is impounded/towed as a wreck, the search is justified to inventory the contents.

Believe me even without the tickets, an at fault accident is going to jack the rates up. Even if they don't know he was doing something criminally stupid to cause the wreck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We're going to court in January to plead down 2 traffic summons (failure to stay right and something else) to keep the insurance down and points off his license.
"We" are not doing any such thing. Your son is an adult and a licensed driver and will be dealing with this, not you. You have no say in the matter.

He should have points on his license. In fact, if I wrote the tickets I would refuse to plea bargain and insist on a trial. Your son is off to a very bad start in his driving career. His license should be suspended if anything.

You should stop enabling his bad behavior or his driving career will be short lived.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
"We" are not doing any such thing. Your son is an adult and a licensed driver and will be dealing with this, not you. You have no say in the matter.

He should have points on his license. In fact, if I wrote the tickets I would refuse to plea bargain and insist on a trial. Your son is off to a very bad start in his driving career. His license should be suspended if anything.

You should stop enabling his bad behavior or his driving career will be short lived.
As well as whoever he manages not to miss next. :cool:

Just Blue

Ditto to what every other member responding said.

OP...Just Thank God that you have your son with you and don't have to make funeral arrangments.

Blesses and best wishes to you and your family

Blue

Bali Hai

If you don't like being policed, I suggest you and the punks you represent move to to where there aren't any other people. Like Antartica or the moon.

OHRoadwarrior

Apparently based on the parents response regarding the paper and residue, the parent is also aware the son is using MJ and driving. Our time is wasted helping a parent that enables their child to endanger others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">