• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 yr old orphaned daughter has bills dumped on her after mom's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irvinecbr

What is the name of your state? CA

My girlfriend's mom died in an automobile accident in August 2000 while driving in Texas. Every bill was written in my girlfriend's name (who was 19 at the time). She tried to pay the extremely high bills, but quit paying after several months. Because of this, her credit is so terrible that she can't even get a $500 credit card. Is she liable to pay for these bills?

Thanks,
David

stephenk

who's bills were written in your girlfriend's name? the mom's or your girlfriend? were these debts incurred after mom died? were these debts that mom had incurred before she died?

I

irvinecbr

the bills referred to here are only from the hospital in Texas. The hospital has made my gf liable to pay for the bills, and her credit now shows that it is ruined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">