• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2000 4Runner - Airbag did not deploy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mebejason

What is the name of your state?
California

I struck a utility pole, head-on, at 45mph, (did not have time to brake) and rolled over my 2000 Toyota 4Runner. Although I had my seatbelt on, and was not serioulsy injured, neither passenger or driver's airbag deployed.

I've done some research, and have VIN #s of several injuries and fatalities involving similar incidents with 2000 Toyota 4Runners. I am the original owner, and no modifications have been made to the vehicle. To my knowledge, no recalls have been made to correct this apperent defect.

Can anyone offer some advice as to how to chase down Toyota, to get this problem fixed, before more people die?

~Jason Baldwin

analytical1

Glad no one was seriously injured, but you probably should have done the same research "BEFORE" you bought the car.

I've done some research, and have VIN #s of several injuries and fatalities involving similar incidents with 2000 Toyota 4Runners.
If there has never been a recall of the vehicle, after having official record of other like incidents....Toyota obvously did not and does not feel the need or that they are neglegent with their product.

It shouldn't be hard to "chase down" Toyota. Go to your local dealer.

Just an opinion.

racer72

Here we go again. No auto manufacturer guarantees the the SRS (supplemental restraint system) will deploy in all accidents. Their disclaimer will state that some accident situations, including accidents that involve striking solid objects, the SRS will not deploy. I suggest a consultation with a local attorney or 2 but don't expect to take your case very far unless you want to throw a lot of money at nothing. And a check with the NTSB reveals no safety related recalls to the 2000 Toyota 4Runner.

teflon_jones

racer72 said:
Here we go again. No auto manufacturer guarantees the the SRS (supplemental restraint system) will deploy in all accidents. Their disclaimer will state that some accident situations, including accidents that involve striking solid objects, the SRS will not deploy. I suggest a consultation with a local attorney or 2 but don't expect to take your case very far unless you want to throw a lot of money at nothing. And a check with the NTSB reveals no safety related recalls to the 2000 Toyota 4Runner.
I don't know how many times I've stated the same thing on this board, but these days you're beating me to it! :)

To the OP:
Read your owner's manual. It contains the disclaimer racer72 mentioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">