• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Etrnaly

What is the name of your state? California

I was recently in a 3 car accident and was the last car. It was on a 2 lane highway during light traffic (20-60 mph). Before the accident, I remember the car in front of me having plenty of space between her and the car ahead of her (at least 500 ft). I remember we were both accelerating closer to the speed limit. For some reason, she did not see the car ahead of her stop and ran into it. She did not even apply her brakes until the last moment. I don't recall seeing her brake, but do remember seeing smoke and hearing her tires screech moments before she hit the car in front of her. It was at this time that I applied my brakes. Having such a short notice, I couldn't stop in time and ending up hitting her too. If she did not come to a dead stop in such a short distance, I would have been able to stop in time.

I think she was distracted by the dog she had in her car and was not looking at the road. I remember after the accident, she let her dog run around while we were on the side of the highway. She did not hold onto it and had other people chase after the dog not once, but twice. The wife of the first car chased after it the first time, and the tow truck driver chased after it the second time. I don't think I should be liable because I don't think she was paying attention to the road (negligence) and she did not give me adequate time to stop myself. During that hour and at that speed, it would be impossible to ever have enough space to come to a complete stop so suddenly without warning. Even if I did give enough distance between myself and her to do such a thing, another car would have certainly went in front of me in a few seconds. Is there any chance for me to win such a case? Would it be advisable to hire a lawyer?

Last edited:

alnorth

She is obviously liable for the damage to the car she hit, but I would argue that you are responsible for the damage to the rear of her car. The reason the car stopped is probably not relevant because as the driver behind her, you need to keep enough space to avoid a sudden unexpected panic stop. If you are unable to avoid a collision with a driver who slams on the brakes in front of you, then you are following too closely for your speed.

ecmst12

Report the accident to your insurance. You are responsible for the damage to the rear of the car that you hit, and possibly a portion of the damage to the front as well. You may even be responsible for a small portion of the damage to the car in the front of the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">