• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 cars involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thongyoi

Last year, I got on an accident. The old man hit me on the rear and caused my car to hit the other on front. My car was declared as total lost while the other two can be drive home with a minor damage. I also had a three months old son with me. We didn't get hurt accept the back and neck pain which is usual, so I didn't sue the old man. Evidencely, I got a letter from the front lady's attorney sued for both her and her husband. Can they do that? Her husband wasn't in the car at the time of accident. I know that it's not my fault, but because I was in the middle and the one who hit her car. I let my insurance deal with it. About six months ago I got the reference of summary of the accident from her attorney and want me to sign and send it back, so they can sued the old man. At that time I wasn't here(I went back to my country). Now I got another letter said that they want me to sign and send to them. I replied that I want them to send me another one since I didn't get that one and want them to send through my insurance, but they keep send me letter and rush me to sign it, but I can't since I didn't have it. My questions are: 1. Can her husband sue, too? 2. Do I really need to sign anything? I thought my insurance should deal with it.
Sorry for the long long message.
Thanks

J

justlooking

I'm a bit confused, are they sueing you or do they want you to join in and sue the man that hit you? If they are trying to sue you AND the old man that hit you, I would speak to an attorney rather than let my insurance company handle it. Isn't there a difference if they are sueing you verses if they were sueing your insurance company?

T

thongyoi

That I wasn't sure because I did not understand. First, I got the paper court from the police that I am being sue from them that what the police told me about her and her husband are sueing. Then I got the letter from her attorney. Then about 5-6 months later I got another letter from the attorney asked if I was going to ask for money which I didn't reply since me and my son were not serious injury and we didn't go for the money. Couple months later, another thick document list all the questions and answers which my insurance provided for them. and they want me to sign and send back. But since I wasn't here at that time so I didn't get the letter. Now they send me letters and want me to send to them. It called "answers to Interrogatories. They want me to review, complete, sigh and return to them. Since their adversary is threatening them to impose court sanctions upon them. This I copied from their letter. I don't know what all these mean, since I can't fully understand English.
Thank you again,

J

justlooking

Since you don't understand English very well, do you have someone that can read this for you? Maybe someone you know that could read the papers for you and help you understand them. If not, then i would look in the yellow pages for an attorney who maybe has the first consultation free and bring those papers with you to show him. This way, he/she can read over them and tell you what it means. If you don't see the free consultation written on the ad in the phone book, ask them when you call. I wouldn't sign anything that you don't completely understand.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Everybody behind the lady gets sued, including you. That's the way it works because until this goes to court, no one really knows who, in fact, caused the accident - - you, or the person behind you. So, you let a judge or jury decide that issue of fact.

Next, YOU HAD BETTER COOPERATE WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Your insurance company assigned a defense attorney to you - - free of charge - - to defend you because you're being sued. The ladies attorney served "discovery" documents (Interrogatories) to you through your defense attorney. Your defense attorney is sending you the draft versions of your answers for your review and approval.

Your defense attorney is also asking you to sign "verification" forms so that such verifications can be attached to the final Interrogatory Answers.

But, it's probably WAY TO LATE now, and because you just IGNORED everything, rather than trying to understand and find out IMMEDIATELY what the papers were, you instead allowed the ladies attorney to WIN their lawsuit against you.

YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE. Now, because you FAILED to cooperate with your insurance company's attorney (your defense attorney), you will now be cancelled from your insurance company, and find it EXTREMELY difficult to obtain insurance from another insurance company - - all because you FAILED to understand what was happening. The lesson is, if you don't understand something, YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT'S ABOUT. You don't just let months go by and ignore things.

You are being sued by the lady because you injured her. You are being sued by the lady's husband because you injured her and he is entitled to damages called "Loss of Consortium" - - in other words, because you injured his wife, the husband IS NOT getting the full benefits of his marriage to the lady you injured.

But, it's probably all over by now. However, if you even bothered to keep any of those letters from the insurance company or from the attorney, you might want to dial your telephone (rather than just look dumb while you're reading this post) and find out what you did wrong and what can be done to save you.

All because you're a foreigner, and don't speak English well, is NOT AN EXCUSE when you purchase an American Insurance contract, and are responsible to COOPERATE WITH YOUR OWN INSURANCE COMPANY !!

So, stop putting your head in the sand and start calling your attorney or your insurance company.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

J

justlooking

However, if you even bothered to keep any of those letters
from the insurance company or from the attorney, you might want to dial your telephone (rather
than just look dumb while you're reading this post) and find out what you did wrong and what
can be done to save you. ---Now is it really necessary to put her down like that? She didn't understand what the lawyer wanted so that is why she didn't comply with their requests. I do agree that she should have been on the phone with the lawyer assigned to her or atleast with the insurance company but i don't agree with you making her feel unwelcome.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Thanks for your opinion. I'll keep it under advisement.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

thongyoi

Thank you for all your advised and respond. The letter that the lady said that they send to me, I didn't get it. They wait until now to send me a follow up. I did send them a letter told them to send me another one and to send through my insurance, but evidencely they just send me another follow up letter. Also, my insurance is not the one who send me those papers. If it was my insurance then I will do it. On the letter they stated that they had sent on 7/17/2000 which I wasn't here in this country. Why would they wait till now to send me a follow up? Should they think the letter might get lost somewhere and tried to contact me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thongyoi:
Thank you for all your advised and respond. The letter that the lady said that they send to me, I didn't get it. They wait until now to send me a follow up. I did send them a letter told them to send me another one and to send through my insurance, but evidencely they just send me another follow up letter. Also, my insurance is not the one who send me those papers. If it was my insurance then I will do it. On the letter they stated that they had sent on 7/17/2000 which I wasn't here in this country. Why would they wait till now to send me a follow up? Should they think the letter might get lost somewhere and tried to contact me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I don't think you're understanding.

Call your insurance adjuster and confirm whether or not you are being represented by an attorney or law office for your defense to the lawsuit.

If the insurance adjuster says "Yes", and the name of that law office or attorney is on the letter you received, then you are being sent copies of the interrogatories from YOUR ATTORNEY, who was served with the interrogatories by the lady's attorney. Your defense attorney is trying to get you to respond to, and approve, the "draft" interrogatory responses so that YOUR ATTORNEY can send final, completed answers, to the lady's attorney. Also, your defense attorney is trying to get you to sign "verification" forms.

Please, on Monday, call your insurance adjuster and confirm what is happening to you, and to confirm the papers you have received.

However, because you were out of the country, without having informed your defense attorney of where you were, it may all be too late. But, call anyway.

IAAL

------------------

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited October 29, 2000).]

T

thongyoi

Thank you very much for all your help. I'm glad that I found this site. At least there are some nice people in this country who do not want take any advantage from other. So far, I only met those sleezy, tricky, and selfish people. Thank you again for your help.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thongyoi:
Thank you very much for all your help. I'm glad that I found this site. At least there are some nice people in this country who do not want take any advantage from other. So far, I only met those sleezy, tricky, and selfish people. Thank you again for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do realise you are in the US right ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Thank you very much for all your help. I'm glad that I found this site. At least there are some nice people in this country who do not want take any advantage from other. So far, I only met those sleezy, tricky, and selfish people. Thank you again for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, that's nice and a "thank you" is always nice to receive, but . . .

What is more important for me to know right now is: Did you call your insurance adjuster or your defense attorney who sent you all of the documents?

If so, what did they tell you?

If you didn't call them, why not?

IAAL

------------------

T

thongyoi

Yes, he will send me another one. I called the insurance and asked them who handled my case. Evidencely, the person who handled wasn't there. They connected me to another one, but still didn't get the response. So, I called the attorney who send me the letters. And we work it out. You are right; he said he represented me. I also asked him for explaination of those documents before I signed. Again, thank you very much. Like I said, I'm glad to find this site. The respond is so fast and very helpful. Sometime, I felt so stupid to know nothing and don't know what to do. Now, I feel happy that there are someone in this world that will help other for nothing.
Sincerely,
Thongyoi

T

thongyoi

Yes, I do realize that, but sometime I based other by my personality which I can said very straight and honest. So I look other as the same as me. I knew that so many out there like to take advantage from other which I met lot of those people, but never reallize them until it's late.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
You do realise you are in the US right ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">