• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 month rule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jefreier

What is the name of your state? California
I just got my license a few weeks ago and in California I am not allowed to have anyone else in the car (under 20 or 25 I forget) until I have had my license for 6 months. I do not mind the ticket for getting in trouble by the cops for this and neither do my parents particularly, but they are being very strict with this rule because of some legal issue. My dad said some stuff about "negligence" and that if I were to be in an accident, even if it wasn't my fault, that if any of my passengers were injured they could sue me for a lot of money (1million+?). My dad tends to exaggerate things and so I don't know the actuality of it. Would anyone here be able to help me by telling me what could actually happen? or just general information about the consequences for this law?

Thanks a ton,
John

PS sorry if that wasn't short enough, I tried.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jefreier said:
What is the name of your state? California
I just got my license a few weeks ago and in California I am not allowed to have anyone else in the car (under 20 or 25 I forget) until I have had my license for 6 months. I do not mind the ticket for getting in trouble by the cops for this and neither do my parents particularly, but they are being very strict with this rule because of some legal issue. My dad said some stuff about "negligence" and that if I were to be in an accident, even if it wasn't my fault, that if any of my passengers were injured they could sue me for a lot of money (1million+?). My dad tends to exaggerate things and so I don't know the actuality of it. Would anyone here be able to help me by telling me what could actually happen? or just general information about the consequences for this law?

Thanks a ton,
John

PS sorry if that wasn't short enough, I tried.

My response:

Your father - - at least this time - - is correct. Since the law requires that you carry no passengers under the age of 21, and if you violate that law, you are liable to your passengers whether or not you cause the accident - - and that's because you knew you shouldn't have had them in the car in the first place.

Not only that, but because of your purposeful violation of the law, your parents will also be held liable for the injuries and damages you cause as a result of your statutory violations.

IAAL

J

jefreier

Bah!

Damnnnnnn.. That is harsh. Thank you very much for your response (quite speedy too). Dunno what I'm gonna do now.
Peace out,
John

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Bah!

jefreier said:
Damnnnnnn.. That is harsh. Thank you very much for your response (quite speedy too). Dunno what I'm gonna do now.
Peace out,
John

My response:

Well, if you think about it, the law is there for your safety as well as the safety of others with which you share the roads.

By the way, my compliments to you for "Zero Misspellings". You are obviously well educated and well-bred. We have little tolerance for dolts on these forums - - and I'm glad to read that you're not one of them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">