• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an $800.00 question- please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuzzled

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hi.. I'm not sure where I should post this but here's the situation.

About 1 & 1/2 years ago I had an $800.00 check issued to me from Geico Insurance for damage done to my vehicle. The check was made payable to me and the leinholder of the vehicle. I deposited the check into my checking account.

Today, I went to the bank to open a new account and saw that $800.00 was withdrawn by the bank to give back to Geico. The bank told me that Geico told them that "the check was not properly endorsed 1 1/2 years ago,meaning, the lienholder did not sign the back of it.

I no longer own the vehicle or have Geico insurance. I have no idea what to do at this point. The $800.00 in my account was for my December's mortgage payment & now I have no idea what to do.

I don't understand how this money can be taken from me because the "check wasn't properly endorsed' 1 1/2 years ago! I was never told by my bank that the leinholder also had to sign the check.

Please advise me what to do. thank you.

seniorjudge

I was never told by my bank that the leinholder also had to sign the check.

But you knew it:

About 1 & 1/2 years ago I had an $800.00 check issued to me from Geico Insurance for damage done to my vehicle. The check was made payable to me and the leinholder of the vehicle. I deposited the check into my checking account.

Unless you can get Geico to reissue it and have the lienholder properly endorse it, the money is gone.

S

shell007

How long ago was the $800.00 removed from your account?

Didn't you get the vehicle fixed?

confuzzled

I didn't know it at the time that they had to sign it also! I fixed the car with the insurance check. I no longer own the vehicle... and why would they wait 1 1/2 years to notify the bank that a check which has long since been cashed was not properly endorsed.

Shouldn't the bank be responsible at all for not telling me this & depositing the check?

thanks.

BelizeBreeze

confuzzled said:
The check was made payable to me and the leinholder of the vehicle. I deposited the check into my checking account..
This is all the facts need to determine that the check was deposited fraudulently.

The lien holder was a party to the check, did not endorse said check and therefore the deposit of the check is invalid.

confuzzled

I did not commit any fraud when I deposited the check! The check had my name on it and was for my vehicle from my insurance company. I did not know that the lienholder (which was also a bank) had to sign it also.

seniorjudge

confuzzled said:
...I did not commit any fraud when I deposited the check!....
I get a check that is made out to you and me.

I deposit it in my account and keep the money.

I don't give you your share.

What would you call this?

BelizeBreeze

confuzzled said:
I did not commit any fraud when I deposited the check! The check had my name on it and was for my vehicle from my insurance company. I did not know that the lienholder (which was also a bank) had to sign it also.
Fraud.....
Stupidity....
Fraud.....
Stupidity....

hmmmmmm. tough choice.

S

shell007

seniorjudge:

I don not want to hijack this thread, but I have some very similar questions about my own experience with a case like this one.

Would you look out for it and respond? It will take me some time to get it together in short form, but I will call it a $14,000.00 question?

confuzzled

The check was from an insurance company that I made payments to, not you.

I was responsible in making sure the payments were made, insurance is current, and repairs are made.

So when the check came in and had mine and your name on it..... don't you see my point?

I did not keep the money.

If both our names were on the check, shouldn't the bank have NOT cashed it then?

arghh- this is frustrating.

S

shell007

What wording was used and typed on the check?

Did it say XXXX and XXXX?

Did it say XXXX or XXXX?

or

Did it say:
XXXXX
XXXXX
with NO (and/or)

seniorjudge

shellandty said:
seniorjudge:

I don not want to hijack this thread, but I have some very similar questions about my own experience with a case like this one.

Would you look out for it and respond? It will take me some time to get it together in short form, but I will call it a $14,000.00 question?
Let me know when you post it by posting something here and confuzzled, my apologies for hijacking your thread for this purpose.

confuzzled

okay- maybe you guys are just too smart for me. I am sorry to post such a stupid question with FRAUD written all over it.

I came here hoping to get some advice as to what I should do next... not be satirized.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">