• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bettisi

Some guy parked his car on my property two years ago and said he be back to pick it up sometime later. He has never shown nor do i know how to or where to contact him. I traced the VIN number and found the bank that holds the title. I called them and they said they abandoned the car and will not pick it up. What options do I have available to me without cost to me. If I get it towed I will pay for it. Since it has been on my property for two years can I claim the car. Let me know what I can do. I live in the state of Pa. This is a response to Lawrat.

Thanks

[Edited by bettisi on 12-17-2000 at 10:07 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Good question, there are lots of things you can do: but we can't point them out to you unless we know your state.

So please repost with the state. Thanks!

JETX

Contact your local state Vehicle Commission (responsible for maintaining vehicle titles). See if your state allows an "Abandoned Title" for a vehicle. If so, title the vehicle in your name and use it.

However, I would suggest sending a letter (certified delivery) to both the lien holder (bank) and the last known address of the vehicle owner. In your letter, give them a reasonable amount of time (2 weeks) to contact you about their recoverying the vehicle. Point out that failure to do so within the time provided will allow you to charge 'storage charges' for the vehicle from the time that it was 'abandoned' and (coincidently), the storage costs meet or exceed any value left in the vehicle (this is to advise that their costs will exceed the value). Finally, advise them that if they fail to respond, you intend to obtain title to the vehicle to do with as you please without recourse. (These last few items are just formalities that could benefit you if their is any later claim to the vehicle).

An additional benefit of the letter to the former owner is, that it benefits you if he/she 'pops' up in the future with claims that you gave him 'open permission' to store the car and it was damaged or sold without his/her permission. Also, your notice will help prevent some states reviewing your allowing the storage as a bailment or a bailment for hire if there was any compensation involved.

B

bettisi

abandoned auto

The state in which this car was abandoned is Pa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">