• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned car, how to take ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilverJester

What is the name of your state? GA

First let me say that I wasn't sure where to put this so mods feel free to move this thread if this isn't the right forum.
There is a car which seems to be abandoned in a Publix (grocery store) parking lot. It has been there for some time at least 2 months if not more. It is an early 80's mitsubishi starion, a car which I wouldn't mind owning as a daily driver. I'm assuming that the car doesn't run otherwise it wouldn't be sitting there for so long. The car still has license plates on it and a VIN. So I'm wondering is there a way to track down the owner of the vehicle with that information in order to buy it off him/her? Or is there a way to take ownership of it as an abandoned car?

teflon_jones

Since it's not on your property, you can't assume ownership of it.

In order to find out who the registered owner is, you'll need to get a friend at the DMV or with an insurance company.

SilverJester

teflon_jones said:
Since it's not on your property, you can't assume ownership of it.

In order to find out who the registered owner is, you'll need to get a friend at the DMV or with an insurance company.
Yeah I've been trying to find someone that could get me the vehicle owner's info, but I don't know anyone personally that has access to that kind of information. Is there any other way to get thay kind of information?

acmb05

yea send me th info

will see if I can get the owner for you. Or just go to DMV and tell them the story and see if they will tell you.

SilverJester

acmb05 said:
will see if I can get the owner for you. Or just go to DMV and tell them the story and see if they will tell you.
I tried the dmv and the police department, they won't give it to me :( If you're are willing to help out that would be great :D just let me know what you need (license plate and/or VIN)?

S

shell007

Just a question:

It is an early 80's mitsubishi starion, a car which I wouldn't mind owning as a daily driver. I'm assuming that the car doesn't run otherwise it wouldn't be sitting there for so long.
As a "daily driver"..why do you wish to own a car that doesn't run? :confused:

SilverJester

acmb05 said:
of them in an email and I will see what I can find
Cool thanks, I will get the VIN tommorow (I had it written down but lost the number).

shellandty said:
Just a question:

As a "daily driver"..why do you wish to own a car that doesn't run? :confused:
Well my eclipse is breaking a lot lately and I love mitsubishis so I figured why not get this mitsu starion, spend 100-200 to fix it and then leave it be (ie no modding it). Then I'll have a cheap daily driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">