• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accedent and Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wsadfilm

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have essentially 2 questions – related to same incidence.

1) I was in an accident in which I was cited - Failure to Maintain Control of Vehicle. I am debating on whether or not to contest the citation. Below is a short description of my account and the only defense I can think of.

Driving a 4WD SUV and started to slide (snowy/icy road). Ended up in a ditch and hit a pole. No one else involved in accident. Have excellent driving record (want to keep that). Only going 35 mph in a 55 mph area. Total distance traveling that night was about 20 miles was less than 5 miles away from destination. Impossible for me to predict road conditions over 15 miles away from my area. I adjusted my speed to road conditions. Was driving a vehicle that had 4WD. No one was seriously injured, no 3rd party property damage (that I am aware of). Roads did not appear to be plowed. Do I have a defense?​

2) I had 2 passengers with me (wife and 10 week old daughter). As I sated above – no apparent serious injuries. Insurance asked my wife if she wants to file a claim against me. They will give her $1000 pain and suffering – 750 here, 250 daughter. My wife is under care for a sore back and strained muscles. Do you take the money or let it slide? Will this affect insurance rates?

Thanks for any advise.

wsadfilm said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have essentially 2 questions – related to same incidence.

1) I was in an accident in which I was cited - Failure to Maintain Control of Vehicle. I am debating on whether or not to contest the citation. Below is a short description of my account and the only defense I can think of.

Driving a 4WD SUV and started to slide (snowy/icy road). Ended up in a ditch and hit a pole. No one else involved in accident. Have excellent driving record (want to keep that). Only going 35 mph in a 55 mph area. Total distance traveling that night was about 20 miles was less than 5 miles away from destination. Impossible for me to predict road conditions over 15 miles away from my area. I adjusted my speed to road conditions. Was driving a vehicle that had 4WD. No one was seriously injured, no 3rd party property damage (that I am aware of). Roads did not appear to be plowed. Do I have a defense?​

2) I had 2 passengers with me (wife and 10 week old daughter). As I sated above – no apparent serious injuries. Insurance asked my wife if she wants to file a claim against me. They will give her $1000 pain and suffering – 750 here, 250 daughter. My wife is under care for a sore back and strained muscles. Do you take the money or let it slide? Will this affect insurance rates?

Thanks for any advise.
1. If you feel the ticket wasn't justified, you should fight it.

2. Yes, a claim against your insurance will probably cause your rates to increase. Some companies have first-claim forgiveness, you need to check your policy. Also, if you are getting a claim-free credit, you would lose that as well. Again, you need to read your policy.

moburkes

A 1-car accident is considered to be your fault. No, you couldn't predict the weather, but the insurance company does not accept weather as a defense to an accident. You won't be able to "keep" your "excellent" driving record, since you've filed a claim with your insurance company. Your record is now tarnished, know what I mean?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">